Amusement Fish fun

Wildwood house - you might be interested.

Amusement Chris's arrest. The true story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are those your fish @AgentPete? Very whiskery like catfish, but different mouths? What kind are they?

We used to have clown loaches...very good natured fish. And mollies, not so good natured; a lot of bullying.

For a second, I was wondering if vegan fish was made of tofu, then the clip started and I realised you meant THEIR diet, not yours. (I blame the long day for the mix up.) They do look rather busy and exited about their courgette. Fascinating creatures.

They're golden ancistrus. All of them born here in Baker St. Males have huge whiskers, which some females apparently find extremely attractive :) The male digs a cave – they are prodigious diggers, they can keep you up all night with the noise – which if the female finds to her liking, she’ll then lay in. The male then takes over completely, nursing the eggs and finning them to ensure a constant flow of water so they don’t go mouldy. Meanwhile, the female is off gallivanting somewhere else :) The babies are very cute, good swimmers, a talent they gradually lose as they get older. Courgettes seems to be their fave food!

I've never seen courgettes devoured as balletically.

Fish-watching is such a great thing to do....snorkeling is an activity enjoyed equally by all four members of our family, aged from 7 years upward. We all had a fantastic time swimming among bream, wrasse, damselfish and numerous other gorgeous Mediterranean species yesterday morning. Glorious stuff.

They're golden ancistrus. All of them born here in Baker St. Males have huge whiskers, which some females apparently find extremely attractive :) The male digs a cave – they are prodigious diggers, they can keep you up all night with the noise – which if the female finds to her liking, she’ll then lay in. The male then takes over completely, nursing the eggs and finning them to ensure a constant flow of water so they don’t go mouldy. Meanwhile, the female is off gallivanting somewhere else :) The babies are very cute, good swimmers, a talent they gradually lose as they get older. Courgettes seems to be their fave food!
Now, if you replaced them with human characters, wouldn't it be a lovely story for Mills and Boom? ;)

Actually @AgentPete, strange as it may seem to many people, there are species who unlike humans, females are the 'dominant' partner and the male stays at home to care for the offspring. In the rare cases where this happens in our society we have male authors, like Scott Benner who successfully capitalize in writing books about stay-at-home-dads; in his case "Life is Short, Laundry is Eternal". Your post on fishes reminded me of this. :)

I love that many reef fishes are essentially transsexual (in human terms!) and will change from female to male and back again. The variation in the markings of a species is because many of them are in transition.

Ah, fish geekery. Love it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildwood house - you might be interested.

Amusement Chris's arrest. The true story

Back