On This Sunday's Pop-Ups...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryPI

Basic
Feb 26, 2018
Dorset, England
Dear Litopians,

First impressions count, so as someone looking to minimize simple mistakes, I am looking for a quick idea as to what seems the most professional way to send emails off. I am quite sure email hosting names matter--so my question is, are hotmail and gmail viable options?

I.e. forename.surname@hotmail.com, or FirstInitial.Surname@gmail.com.

Is there anything that figuratively reeks of "don't even bother"?

Cheers muchly!

Personally I've used hotmail.com from the word go... I truly don't see why it matters. First impressions count - but with your letter and your work. I've always believed that the writing sells itself (or not), and that's also what I'm getting from Pete's pop-up submissions. He doesn't seem to get too hung up on the daft things we all put in our letters, but he does get hung up on grammar mistakes and bloopers in the opening pages.

In making queries, I always address my covering letter to a specific agent—unless the instructions on the literary agency's website specify an assistant's name or something vague, like 'acquisitions team'.

Researching what sort of books agents are looking for, immediately shows professionalism by an unpublished author. Targeted approaches work better than a random scattergun submission—which will probably hit the slush pile without ever being noticed. Even if the agent who gets your query isn't interested, they might pass it on to a colleague who could be.

There's some good advice here: Andrew Lownie Literary Agency | The Acquisitions Process

@Paul Whybrow That was a really helpful and concise insight into the process from publishers that work off their own "slush pile" and generate their own ideas. It had some really useful information that I will definitely take heed of.

Cheers

Dear Litopians,

First impressions count, so as someone looking to minimize simple mistakes, I am looking for a quick idea as to what seems the most professional way to send emails off. I am quite sure email hosting names matter--so my question is, are hotmail and gmail viable options?

Cheers muchly!

No. I think it's the perfect way to do it.

Having an email address with a provider means you're tied to them until the end of time. At least, it feels that way.

If you have a website, you could use your domain email address. But then they would do is go to your website. So, you'd have to make sure your website made you look good.

Dear Litopians,

Cheers muchly!

I've been sending out queries lately and have come across more than one agent's submission guidelines that say NOT to use hotmail. The emails end up in the spam filter. Gmail is a much better option. And yes, your name @ gmail dot com is perfectly acceptable. You don't need a period in between the first name and surname, but there's nothing wrong with that either.

I've been sending out queries lately and have come across more than one agent's submission guidelines that say NOT to use hotmail. The emails end up in the spam filter. Gmail is a much better option. And yes, your name @ gmail dot com is perfectly acceptable. You don't need a period in between the first name and surname, but there's nothing wrong with that either.

Right, staying away from hotmail! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Need a name!

On This Sunday's Pop-Ups...

Back