Book Review: Film: How To Train Your Dragon

The Colony is now mobile...

Will Self: The Guardian: The Fate of Our Literary Culture Is Sealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
I've see this film twice; parental duty beckoned, and it's OK; a few laughs, and the film is not over- saccharine. Some harm does come to the boy, and the dragon alike, and it would have been totally 'unbelievable' if it hadn't given the suspension of disbelief already required :)

I find this scene has charm, and what I like about it best, I think is its characterization, this dragon is so clearly a 'cat.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MDCamjAQVA&index=4&list=FLTAdfL3bTqnvXEAeyPt7dFg

My girls loved that movie. We had to buy the DVD and they watched it a bunch of times. It's good enough that I'm still not sick of it, so a true test of a film I think.

Hi Katie-Ellen. Like you, I think the film is OKAY. Without going into too much detail, it kept me entertained, but I have a lot of little peeves. Why do the children have American accents while everyone else is European, and why do they sound so modern while the adults speak traditionally? To me, it’s pandering. Then again, I have a phobia that DreamWorks is going to sue me someday over my first novel (also about dragon slavery), so I'm extremely biased .....haha.

I haven't seen the film but I'm slightly bothered by the idea that they changed things sooooo greatly from the books, which I love.

Film!Toothless is very cute, though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colony is now mobile...

Will Self: The Guardian: The Fate of Our Literary Culture Is Sealed

Back