• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Feeling shy and slightly overwhelmed

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

Still Waters

Hi. I'm new here. I've been writing since the age of 10, but mostly in my diaries. I'm a writing addict. I literally tried to quit once, and reduced my writing down to bullet points in a long list. That lasted about a month, and then I was back to full-on writing.

Writing for me is as necessary as breathing, because I am a hard-core introvert with no real friends or family and a very bad family background that left me deeply scarred in more ways than I am able to comprehend, even today. Writing is and was the only means I have and had to process my daily experiences.

Now that the worst of my life is finally over, I'm discovering unwritten books in myself that embody the lessons and experiences I've survived, plus the wisdom I've gleaned from many years of healing and the inner work I've done to free myself from decades of trauma (and from the perpetrators of that trauma).

I've never been in a writing community before, nor studied or applied literary theories, tools, tricks, or done critiques, and I've almost never let anyone read anything I've written. I was always fiercely protective of my writings. I realize now, though, that that is because I was never writing for an audience and I knew nobody could possibly critique what I was writing (much of which was poetry, some prose), because what I wrote was therapy, emotions that just rolled from my heart to the pen onto the paper in the form of words, not for critique or an audience. I wrote to keep myself alive. I discovered that poetry was a tool I used to soften the harsh blows and violence in the world around me--my poetry made that which was ugly and furious beautiful and kind--and I needed that delusion. It was the only form of expression I had, and could keep secret from the people I deemed most dangerous to me.

Now, however, I have begun writing for others, to impart the wisdom and insights I've acquired about humanity and human life through my suffering and through traveling in this life from a familial hell into a solitary heaven, as much as we can experience heaven on Earth. So now I am seeking help to learn both how to improve my writing and how to critique and learn from others' writings.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to be here.

Celestine.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to be here.

Celestine.

Hey Celestine, you’re warmly welcomed here.

Everything you’ve said is quite typical for the writing personality. You’ll fit right in :)

I set this place up, oh, some two decades ago now, in part to provide some mutual support for writers, both professionally and socially.

Writers are somewhat different people to, um, civilians. They see things rather differently, and thank the good lord that they do.

But it’s not the easiest skin to inhabit.

Hopefully, Litopia will be just what you need :)

P.

Welcome Celestine! Thanks for sharing your passion for writing with us. I'm glad you now feel ready to share your words. This is a wonderfully supportive writing community, with loads to absorb or participate in as you wish. I look forward to seeing you around the colony.

Hey Celestine, you’re warmly welcomed here.

Everything you’ve said is quite typical for the writing personality. You’ll fit right in :)

I set this place up, oh, some two decades ago now, in part to provide some mutual support for writers, both professionally and socially.

Writers are somewhat different people to, um, civilians. They see things rather differently, and thank the good lord that they do.

But it’s not the easiest skin to inhabit.

Hopefully, Litopia will be just what you need :)

P.
Thanks :). If I do fit in here, it will be the first place I've ever fit in, and I've sought out lots of different types of groups, each one comprising a major facet of my essential make-up (not cosmetics!). I couldn't even fit in with the Aspergers-austism crowd, despite being one of them.

Welcome aboard @Still Waters :) I'm really sorry to hear of your trauma, but glad you had writing to get you through. There are many people out there you could help. Do you know where you want to start?

Cheers
Rachel
Hi Rachel. Thanks for welcoming me and I appreciate you taking the interest to ask me, because it gives me a chance to gain more clarity about my writing project/s...

Where to start... well, I started a book in 2022, which essentially began in 2019 (accompanied by a dream I didn't connect to the book until 2021). By winter of 2023, it morphed into a monster. I got overwhelmed and had to back off. I was getting way too much information for me to organize. Enormous amounts of research are also involved. It's non-fiction. It started out as a handbook for achieving world peace. Since this January, though, it seems to be splitting off into entirely separate books, like a series.

My center is psychospiritual evolution, which I learned through my life experience. I am obsessed with understanding human behavior and psychology (starting with my own) and have dissected many perplexing instances or habits of human behavior that could be helpful for the individual and, therefore, on a collective scale, for society, which consists of individuals. However, I'm still overwhelmed with information that I don't know how to organize.

This past January I began psychoanalyzing myself in the poems that got me through the most hellish decades of my life, to see what was really going on in me on different levels. It is really fascinating. I love it :). I love seeing into myself (and others, but you can't see into others before you've seen into yourself).

I wanted to get into a more formal and professional routine regarding my writing and to refine my skills and get advice in areas where I fall short, so here I am.

Welcome, @Still Waters.

Good to see you here, Celestine – I hope you like us well enough to stay. Your writing sounds fascinating. Like all complex subjects, structure and organisation would help make it accessible and inviting to readers. But I'm sure you'll manage that. Your passion and commitment are obvious :) and that helps.

We have a good mix of writers here, with different levels of experience and a wonderful assortment of genres. Everyone is welcome and you are, too. If you have any other questions, let us know. I'm one of the Guardians here, and am always happy to help. Enjoy exploring the Colony!

Back