Fanfare! Feedback! And It began with the Flash Club

An innovative approach to literature dissemination

Have you ever won anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
They'll be making their decisions by beginning of March. And, connected to this press is Penny Dreadful, which publishes Flash fiction, folks.

I've told them about Litopia. Haunted Waters Press & Penny Dreadful are clearly cheek by jowl and tweet the same tweets, have an open sub window once a year I gather, but asking $10 per entry. What I am really aiming at is a home for the novel, but maybe it's going to take a bit of lateral thinking :)

Really kind, thank you. I 'd be glad to have the chance to put something more recent on the CV. And I love the name, Haunted Waters Press.

I've told them about Litopia. Haunted Waters Press & Penny Dreadful are clearly cheek by jowl and tweet the same tweets, have an open sub window once a year I gather, but asking $10 per entry. What I am really aiming at is a home for the novel, but maybe it's going to take a bit of lateral thinking :)
Unless I have committed a major faux-pas, PD does not require $10/entry - it's Irish anyway so wouldn't ask for dollars - at least I sent them something a couple of weeks ago and didn't pay! -: Submit
:oops:

Unless I have committed a major faux-pas, PD does not require $10/entry - it's Irish anyway so wouldn't ask for dollars - at least I sent them something a couple of weeks ago and didn't pay! -: Submit
:oops:

No. I don't think you've committed the dread faux pas. I was referring to Haunted Press for this edition, open sub, not Penny Dreadful

They didn't take it, after that! They wrote yesterday to say, after a long discussion etc etc. Blah blah lol-sob.
But the principle stands. What starts in the Flash club for fun and a stretch of the muscles could also go other places later.

*Rolls around, tearing hair and biting the grass.*

:( I really feel for you. I submitted an essay last year to a new polish journal. They wanted anything touching on queer/feminist topics. I emailed them, would you be interested in this-and-that. Yes they would, please write. So I did. Sent the text, got email back Wow, so great, much professional, very edgy, can't wait to publish your stuff. After more than two months (!) I hear from them again: Very sorry, but we got so much submissions that we had to make a selection. You don't pass.

Well, never a failure, always a lesson, they say...

:) Quite so, and the lesson is probably, these things happen a lot. Best to have a thick skin in any and all dealings with publishing or media. I had a visitor the other day, who appears on a psychic telly programme. What a picture she painted of that world, and no thanks, would be my feeling.

I hope, Bluma, you place that same piece of work with someone else.

They didn't take it, after that! They wrote yesterday to say, after a long discussion etc etc. Blah blah lol-sob.
But the principle stands. What starts in the Flash club for fun and a stretch of the muscles could also go other places later.

Oh, sorry to hear that. *hugs* :(
Why is there no little button to say commiserations?:(

Pah! Who needs 'em. Seriously, just send it somewhere else -- to several places at once, in fact. Simsubs are there to help!

Simsubs? Simultaneous submissions. Send it to lots of mags at once - in parallel is much faster than in sequence.

:(:oops: I remember what Agent Pete said in the "First Page" seminar. Publishers and agents want to make money. No matter how accomplished the concept and writing may be, if it will not appeal to a large number of readers it will not be accepted. I can't help thinking about Thomas Gray and the "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard". One of the stanzas: "Full many a gem of purest ray serene,/The dark unfathomed caves of ocean bear:/Full many a flow'r is born to blush unseen,/And waste its sweetness on the desert air." My mother made me learn the poem when I was quite young. I think she may have been trying to prepare me for life.:)

Also, a "save the grass" button! Still, sorry to hear the rejection news, but obviously the stories have potential, so keep sending ;)

Sorry this one didn't go all the way, but send it out again. Obviously, it's good enough. You just need to find the right market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

An innovative approach to literature dissemination

Have you ever won anything?

Back