Fantasy Travelling

Amusement Spot The Books! Lockdown Marble Run

To Sequel or Not to Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
In these days when we’re becoming all too familiar with our wallpaper, why not fantasise about where to set a future novel?

I was researching the landscape of N.E. Georgia last night, for my third novella about a traumatised Civil War veteran. Art Palmer has spent the previous two years hiding out in the Appalachians but is now making for the Atlanta area to help his sister rebuild her plantation.

I’ve visited the foothills of the Appalachians, but I’d like to walk 2,200 miles of The Appalachian National Scenic Trail running between Georgia and Maine.

Appalachian Trail Conservancy

iu

Author Bill Bryson attempted to walk the trail, which he described in A Walk In The Woods.

To warm up, I’d first walk the 296 miles of the Cornwall Coast Path.

Where would you go to escape the Coronavirus lockdown?

It needn’t be on this planet if you write Science Fiction or Fantasy.

Hi Paul. Some years ago, I walked part of the route you mention which is itself part of the South West Coastal Path. As I recall I walked the section from Penzance to St Ives, backpacking between youth hostels. Highlights I remember include Lands End, the Minack (open air) Theatre and the copper mines on the north coast. I'd like to forget the relentless up and down sections, though. Coastal walks can be surprisingly hard slogs as I found out again later doing part of the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path.
I've written a novel set on another long distance path. I'd brainstormed what sort of stories could take place on one and then when I set out to walk it myself made a note of where action could occur. I hoped one day it would be published, so please forgive me if I don't say where it's set. Your post has made me wonder if this would be a good time to revisit and self-publish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Spot The Books! Lockdown Marble Run

To Sequel or Not to Sequel

Back