Short story looking for readers

D

Is Originality In Writing Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
I'm not really the type of person to pen letters to an artist of any kind, nor to stand in line to get a copy of a writer's book signed with a personal dedication. Were I to achieve any success as an author, I suppose I could find myself on the other side of the table. :oops:

Nevertheless, I contacted three writers yesterday, all of whom run interesting blogs that I subscribe to. In the last year, I've been assessing what works and what's bloody annoying about blogs. The most irritating, is one that requires me to click through three links to get to the article mentioned in the newsletter—that's like entering a supermarket through the sliding doors, only to find a vast empty space with a shop assistant directing you to open a door into a corridor, where you meet another shop assistant who points at another door you need to open before seeing the first food items.

There are some blog newsletters I'm always glad to see in my Inbox. I intend to pinch emulate some of their techniques when I resurrect my own long-dormant blog Paul Pens. I'm still rather naïve about blogging, but understand that guest blogging is a good way to network and meet people. I've noticed that several well-known writing gurus seemingly started out with a blog/website to promote their novels, but in offering advice about writing they created an income for themselves by offering online courses or residential retreats.

Building my brand, my Cornish Detective series and me as an author is best done through blogging, and, more importantly for sales, having a mailing list of subscribers. At least that's what marketing experts reckon is the most effective way of making sales, compared to Facebook, Twitter and paid ads on Amazon.

I'm such a numbskull, that I'd failed to appreciate how lucrative blogging could be. Of course, I knew that revenue could be made from ads down the side of the page, promoting products that are often nothing to do with your books, but I hadn't put two and two together to realise that blogging could be a viable business:

How Much Do Bloggers Make? A Lot More Than You Think!

Anyhow, as an early attempt at networking other bloggers, I responded to three authors who'd put out requests in their latest newsletters. One wanted to know about novels that were neglected treasures, another was happy to take suggestions for articles about Cornwall, while the third was suffering from a cold and wanted home remedies...I told him about my use of garlic, (I haven't had a cold for 24 years).

https://colony.litopia.com/threads/garlic-is-as-good-as-ten-mothers.915/

If they respond, we may start a dialogue that leads to guest blogging. Writing is such a solitary occupation, that it's good to know there's someone else out there who's castaway on another desert island chucking bottles into the sea containing messages! :)

Have any of you written to an author?

Did they reply?

Have you attended a book signing?

If you blog, do you have reciprocal arrangements with other bloggers?

How many subscribers do you have to your blog?

Have you received fan letters for your own books?

quote-there-s-an-epigram-tacked-to-my-office-bulletin-board-pinched-from-a-magazine-wanting-margaret-atwood-34-97-47.jpg

I'm not really the type of person to pen letters to an artist of any kind, nor to stand in line to get a copy of a writer's book signed with a personal dedication. Were I to achieve any success as an author, I suppose I could find myself on the other side of the table. :oops:

Nevertheless, I contacted three writers yesterday, all of whom run interesting blogs that I subscribe to. In the last year, I've been assessing what works and what's bloody annoying about blogs. The most irritating, is one that requires me to click through three links to get to the article mentioned in the newsletter—that's like entering a supermarket through the sliding doors, only to find a vast empty space with a shop assistant directing you to open a door into a corridor, where you meet another shop assistant who points at another door you need to open before seeing the first food items.

There are some blog newsletters I'm always glad to see in my Inbox. I intend to pinch emulate some of their techniques when I resurrect my own long-dormant blog Paul Pens. I'm still rather naïve about blogging, but understand that guest blogging is a good way to network and meet people. I've noticed that several well-known writing gurus seemingly started out with a blog/website to promote their novels, but in offering advice about writing they created an income for themselves by offering online courses or residential retreats.

Building my brand, my Cornish Detective series and me as an author is best done through blogging, and, more importantly for sales, having a mailing list of subscribers. At least that's what marketing experts reckon is the most effective way of making sales, compared to Facebook, Twitter and paid ads on Amazon.

I'm such a numbskull, that I'd failed to appreciate how lucrative blogging could be. Of course, I knew that revenue could be made from ads down the side of the page, promoting products that are often nothing to do with your books, but I hadn't put two and two together to realise that blogging could be a viable business:

How Much Do Bloggers Make? A Lot More Than You Think!

Anyhow, as an early attempt at networking other bloggers, I responded to three authors who'd put out requests in their latest newsletters. One wanted to know about novels that were neglected treasures, another was happy to take suggestions for articles about Cornwall, while the third was suffering from a cold and wanted home remedies...I told him about my use of garlic, (I haven't had a cold for 24 years).

https://colony.litopia.com/threads/garlic-is-as-good-as-ten-mothers.915/

If they respond, we may start a dialogue that leads to guest blogging. Writing is such a solitary occupation, that it's good to know there's someone else out there who's castaway on another desert island chucking bottles into the sea containing messages! :)

Have any of you written to an author?

Did they reply?

Have you attended a book signing?

If you blog, do you have reciprocal arrangements with other bloggers?

How many subscribers do you have to your blog?

Have you received fan letters for your own books?

quote-there-s-an-epigram-tacked-to-my-office-bulletin-board-pinched-from-a-magazine-wanting-margaret-atwood-34-97-47.jpg

I'm with Margaret on this one. Definitely.

I can remember meeting a wannabee-author at a London would-be literary party.
"Have you had anything published?" she gushed at me, taking me by the arm.
"I'm a journalist," I replied. "Everything I write gets published." [Or I'd get sacked. That's how it works.]
Collapse of stout party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short story looking for readers

D

Is Originality In Writing Overrated?

Back