eye of newt and toe of frog

Beta Readers Question

B

Busman's holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband is a Master Herbalist - he should know this stuff..gonna test him :D
That's brilliant, I am studied for my herbal practioner at the moment. After well over a decade I thought it was time to make it official.

@Karen Gray it is coming out the same time as Darrienia (Sept 1st) though I never thought to include the old names. Thanks for the support.

That's brilliant, I am studied for my herbal practioner at the moment. After well over a decade I thought it was time to make it official.

@Karen Gray it is coming out the same time as Darrienia (Sept 1st) though I never thought to include the old names. Thanks for the support.

He uses iridology to diagnose and herbal medicine to treat. Have you completed the course?

It's all really fascinating.

I have almost completed it, it's funny you should mention iridology as that is another area I am looking to study after I complete this one. Although unlike herbal medicine, I haven't touched on iridology before.

I have almost completed it, it's funny you should mention iridology as that is another area I am looking to study after I complete this one. Although unlike herbal medicine, I haven't touched on iridology before.

Kinesiology is also very useful. But to think that all this time those Iris lines depicted a map of the entire human body...just blew my 'institutionalised academic one-linear' mind away.

The European Sycamore Acer pseudoplatanus was favoured by the Romans for making arrows and spears. It grows rapidly in straight lengths, and hardened with fire the sharpened tip can be used as a weapon in the absence of a metal tip. Acer comes from the Latin word for sour or sharp, which gives us the word 'acerbic'. I'm using an Acer laptop.

For those writing stories with malevolent spirits in them, you might like to know that the Rowan tree is traditionally thought to provide protection from evil. Also known as the Mountain Ash, it's an attractive and compact tree which is often found planted in the corner of old house gardens - closest to the entrance to the property. It's also found planted regularly along ancient highways, as it's reputed to prevent travellers becoming lost.

220px-Rowan_tree_20081002b.jpg

Similarly, the Oak tree has through ancient tradition been thought to have powers of protection, and to draw good luck to those who bear their acorns - either in a pocket or worn as an amulet. Acorns appear in stylised form in some homes, as the finial on the newel post at the top and bottom of a staircase:

images

Eeh, no, I didn't, though I'd read we didn't have sycamores before the Romans came. More about the sycamore: http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/wildlife/factfiles/trees/sycamore.htm

For those writing stories with malevolent spirits in them, you might like to know that the Rowan tree is traditionally thought to provide protection from evil. Also known as the Mountain Ash, it's an attractive and compact tree which is often found planted in the corner of old house gardens - closest to the entrance to the property. It's also found planted regularly along ancient highways, as it's reputed to prevent travellers becoming lost.

220px-Rowan_tree_20081002b.jpg

Similarly, the Oak tree has through ancient tradition been thought to have powers of protection, and to draw good luck to those who bear their acorns - either in a pocket or worn as an amulet. Acorns appear in stylised form in some homes, as the finial on the newel post at the top and bottom of a staircase:

images

My new story makes reference to that rowan lore. Where I live, like a huge swathe of Britain, was Danelaw and certain superstitions survive from Norse culture. The alder is a benevolent 'masculine' spirit magic tree. Farmers here used to make lambs leap through hoops of rowan wood for their protection from the Hag.

It always makes me laugh, the idea of a Roman galley approaching the Thames estuary, all those helmets and red plumes, and cat faces scowling over the sides with their ears pricked forward. The Brythones had wild cats around, but I wonder what their first reactions were... Apart from, 'oh shit, it's the Romans back again, and this time they mean business', that is.

20120227-Mosaic%20Pompeii%20Cat_birds%20Napoli.jpg

Last edited:
It always makes me laugh, the idea of a Roman galley approaching the Thames estuary, all those helmets and red plumes, and cat faces scowling over the sides with their ears pricked forward. The Brythones had wild cats around, but I wonder what their first reactions were... Apart from, 'oh shit, it's the Romans back again, and this time they mean business', that is.

20120227-Mosaic%20Pompeii%20Cat_birds%20Napoli.jpg

First reaction...'Aww look at the kitties!' lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beta Readers Question

B

Busman's holiday

Back