Inspiration! Evidence the JK myth is true - and an insight into why Ulysses is kind of hard to follow.

We all need a bit of it in these strange times...

Rant An Annoying Kind Of Rejection

News FALL OUT, a new series on Amazon. Impeccable.

Jonny

Staff member
Guardian
Mar 1, 2020
These two photos appeared on my social media feed today and thought they were really inspirational.

• JK in a cafe. Writing HP before her life turned upside down.
  • Joyce's own handwritten corrections on his galley copy of Ulysses. Looking at it then it's hardly surprising the book turned out the way it did. IMG_3048.JPEGIMG_3049.JPG

Last edited:
These two photos appeared on my social media feed today and thought they were really inspirational.

• Joyce's own handwritten corrections on his galley copy of Ulysses. Looking at it then it's hardly surprising the book turned out the way it did. View attachment 18138View attachment 18139
That old wotsaname about a picture telling a thousand words. JKR was a penniless single mother in those days... and look at her now!

Oh, you mean @Jonny 's subject line? I'd imagine that she really did write Potter in a café?
Hi Peyton,

Yes, what Lyse says. A lot of folks have said she wrote a lot of H P in a cafe when she was unemployed.

Lots of others said that was rubbish.

I doubt if she wrote it all there or her coffee bill would’ve been even bigger than what she’s earned from royalties and advances. :eek:

She looks so tired. But this is a year after her first book was published. So I'd imagine in 1998, she was already on her way, her life already tilting to upside down?

The first book in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, was published in the UK in 1997. It was an instant success, winning numerous awards and quickly becoming a bestseller.
I thought she looked lovely, ravishing.

• Joyce's own handwritten corrections on his galley copy of Ulysses. Looking at it then it's hardly surprising the book turned out the way it did. View attachment 18138
She's also described how when she was in her abusive marriage her husband threatened to destroy the manuscript she was working on with all her notes. She was allowed to work outside the home. Everyday she took a page in to photocopy and leave at her job. Only after she had saved it that way could she leave. So the def of "writing" comes into play. What she was doing there would probably be what writers call editing/rewriting. She'd had this idea for YEARS and filled notebooks with her doodles about it. Another example of how when an idea doesnt let go of you, that's the one to pursue. And yes it will probably end up miles away from the original.

The thing I never believed about the coffee shop was that her son was in the stroller beside her sleeping while she wrote. I NEVER had children who could be contained within a stroller for more than 20 minutes. They occupied my attention at least 18 hours out of the day seven days a week. With a husband that travelled and worked outside the country most of the time-I parented alone , tho not a single parent.

Last edited:

Rant An Annoying Kind Of Rejection

News FALL OUT, a new series on Amazon. Impeccable.

Back