How to Research a Literary Agent

Onym Word Source Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol Rose

Basic
Sep 13, 2014
Indiana, USA
I posted this in the thread where @AgentPete uploaded the video from today's Pop-Up submissions, but wanted to make sure everyone saw it. :)

I want to thank Agent Pete for the feedback on my submission. I am over the moon happy! :) This story is very special to me, and before the feedback and guidance on how to proceed, I didn't have the courage to polish it up and submit it.

For those who don't know, this story is quite different from what I currently write and am published in. It came to me in its entirety on the drive home one day from work, and it won't let me go. It's scary to write something different and know it won't be right for the publisher where you're comfortable, and where nearly everything you send them is accepted without revision. But at the same time, if I never take a chance on branching out, I'll never know I can do it. I'll never have a home for all the other stories inside me.

In case anyone is on the fence about submitting something for the Pop-Up Submissions, PLEASE don't be afraid. Agent Pete is kind and straightforward. He knows what he's talking about, and will give you feedback and guidance you can really use to improve your craft. No place else I know of will do this for writers. This community is very unique. We have a valuable resource here. Take advantage of it. :)

You can't do this without meaningful, useful feedback on your work from someone who really knows what they are talking about. Don't pass up this chance. :)

I posted this in the thread where @AgentPete uploaded the video from today's Pop-Up submissions, but wanted to make sure everyone saw it. :)

I want to thank Agent Pete for the feedback on my submission. I am over the moon happy! :) This story is very special to me, and before the feedback and guidance on how to proceed, I didn't have the courage to polish it up and submit it.

For those who don't know, this story is quite different from what I currently write and am published in. It came to me in its entirety on the drive home one day from work, and it won't let me go. It's scary to write something different and know it won't be right for the publisher where you're comfortable, and where nearly everything you send them is accepted without revision. But at the same time, if I never take a chance on branching out, I'll never know I can do it. I'll never have a home for all the other stories inside me.

In case anyone is on the fence about submitting something for the Pop-Up Submissions, PLEASE don't be afraid. Agent Pete is kind and straightforward. He knows what he's talking about, and will give you feedback and guidance you can really use to improve your craft. No place else I know of will do this for writers. This community is very unique. We have a valuable resource here. Take advantage of it. :)

You can't do this without meaningful, useful feedback on your work from someone who really knows what they are talking about. Don't pass up this chance. :)

Hey Carol, I just wanted to say that I'm soooo impressed with your work. Nearly 100 published!! Wow! I'm still struggling with ... well ... zero. (I've just started book 3 and hope this one will be my first glorious one, the one in print.) Anyhoo, I'm in awe of your ability to work at such a high standard and such a high speed. I bet, once you branch into a new writing direction, you will be glad you did. I look forward to reading.

And three 'Hurras' for @AgentPete for plowing through the submissions despite flu, but also for managing to do so without breaking any ribs when coughing. :) Get well.

I have considered submitting, but now I'm too late. Time is very limited here, but I'll follow your footsteps when it's open :)

I wonder if it would have been more useful to send my book proposal document to agent Pete for the Oracle Card Deck, instead of the sample cards. He now has the sample cards but it might be hard to get an insight from a business point of view. In a way the sample cards are more for the reader and the proposal is more for the agent. Since I’ve sent the sample through the form, I’ve written a pitch letter and a four page book proposal. Perhaps the process is different for fiction and non-fiction. What is the sentiment here?

Last edited:
The process is slightly different in general, isn't it. But Peter does represent non fiction too. Maybe you covered it then, and your pitch letter, depending what you put in it, functions as a business proposal, illustrated with the samples?

Thanks Katie-Ellen! I’m just getting into ‘pitching process’ after creating the Oracle Card Deck (I know, could do it the other way next time)

When I submitted to the pop-up submission, I only sent a few paragraphs as ‘blurb’, which I saw as similar to an advertisement for a reader at the time. It was not on purpose that this was so short, I just wasn’t fully aware of the process. So now I’ve made a better one-page pitch and also a four-page book proposal. I’ve written these documents more from a business point-of-view, whereas the sample cards are more for the spiritual reader.

If I would do the submission now, I would probably do it in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Research a Literary Agent

Onym Word Source Site

Back