Does anyone understand how Amazon classify books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Clegg

Basic
Certainly Amazon doesn't seem to. I've currently got a Kindle book that is top of the Popular Science list on Amazon.co.uk - but just take a look at the company. Leaving aside two of the books being exam guides in maths - hardly popular science - I have achieved something I never believed possible. I'm in the same bestseller list as Danielle Steel. And I beat her!

Amazon Best_Sellers in_Popular_Science.jpg

Con...gratulations?

But seriously, I have no idea. Anyone else have any understanding of this? I would imagine it has to do with tags and information on a given book punched in by an uninterested worker at some point collated in a database, but I can't pretend to have any real insight on the subject.

First, congrats, Brian, on your No. 1 position, seriously good.

No, I have no idea how they classify things. It’s probably classified, knowing Amazon’s penchant for secrecy. I don’t know which is worse – Amazon or iTunes. Why don’t these giants invest some serious time/money/brainpower in researching “discovery”? Would do us all a lot of good.

I did a Danielle Steele tell-all once. She employed an Icelander as a butler to her Vietnamese pot-bellied pig. He spilled the beans, Ralph Steadman did the pics. It was glorious :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back