New MediaWriting Competition

WriteNow launched today by Penguin Random House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Clegg

Basic
Aug 7, 2014
Swindon, UK
I've had the chance to do a little unexpected media experiment. I took part in a series on Radio 4 about infinity, which made a mention of my book A Brief History of Infinity.

Somewhat surprisingly, because media exposure doesn't always influence sales, this month's numbers are double those of a typical month. This is lovely. But what I think is particularly interesting is that e-book sales haven't changed at all - they are absolutely in line with other months. It's just the paper version that has had a spike.

I wonder if it reflects the relationship the typical Radio 4 listener has with physical books, or their average age... or something completely different?

stacks-image-infinit-144x216.jpg

Surely this is in line with the recent news that e-books have flat lined Brian. Fluctuations are then more likely to happen with sales of the print versions.

I think the 'flat lining' is probably too broad a generalisation to apply to specific titles.
I realised late last night that 'flat lining' was an incorrectly used term Brian. What I meant in my befuddled and stupid way was that ebook sales have levelled out. Flat lined implies they have died - silly me!

I've had the chance to do a little unexpected media experiment. I took part in a series on Radio 4 about infinity, which made a mention of my book A Brief History of Infinity.

Somewhat surprisingly, because media exposure doesn't always influence sales, this month's numbers are double those of a typical month. This is lovely. But what I think is particularly interesting is that e-book sales haven't changed at all - they are absolutely in line with other months. It's just the paper version that has had a spike.

I wonder if it reflects the relationship the typical Radio 4 listener has with physical books, or their average age... or something completely different?
Good to hear that the numbers are up. I'm looking forward to catching up on the Radio 4 series - and reading your book.

As to 'something completely different' - for me, when I'm at anchor and the wind is blowing, the rain is stair-rodding down and the sea is slapping the hull, the idea of curling up in my bunk with a Kindle has no appeal - give me a real book anytime.

To add the pedant into the mix: "flat-lining" is an americanism that bears little resemblance to reality. If (as the term denotes) one sees a life sign signal running flat on a vitals monitor, it means a disconnected lead.

So perhaps "flat-lining" ebooks is correct: in that ebooks sales are disconnected?

I am your target market - Radio 4 listener and reader. I tend to buy paper books of things that I feel I might want to re-read, use for teaching purposes or share with friends. I buy e-books for the things that I read fast or for data/research/information, plus one or two old favourites that if I am stuck with nothing but ipad or iphone, I can do a quick comfort read (Dunnett, Heyer, Chekhov short stories, romances and education books). I am now going to listen again to hear you talk about Infinity, but that is the kind of book I would buy as a print copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New MediaWriting Competition

WriteNow launched today by Penguin Random House

Back