What Would You Do? Do I wait?

Does it work?

Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
Some time ago (3 April to be precise) I got this email from an agent:
"It sounds intriguing and we look forward to reading your work. We hope to come back to you with our thoughts within a month."

Today is the last working day of April. Do I wait a bit longer or do I ask what's happening?
I'm by nature 2 things. N° 1 An Optimist and N°2 Very Impatient.
By not having heard already surely it must mean that either they haven't read it yet, or they are still considering it - so I should wait.
But... I'm so impatient and this not knowing is driving me nuts!

Please tell me what to do!!!!

"It sounds intriguing and we look forward to reading your work. We hope to come back to you with our thoughts within a month."
That's a standard response, and the key words, regarding the time to get back to you, are We hope.

I'd wait six weeks (from 3 April) and then nudge them if you still haven't heard.

My attitude is it's better to know now and maybe be disappointed, rather than get your hopes up and suffer a crushing rejection later. Also, if you don't show an interest in your writing, why should the agent? They're busy people and may welcome a reminder of you.

Nudge so soon you might trigger a no, simply because they haven't decided yet, and that's their safest answer. It's still within the month. Not by much, but that's quick, a month.

I wrote to 6 agents in mid-January. I've had rejections from 3 (one said that there was 'much to admire, but he needs to connect with a novel if he is to take it on and the connection wasn't there...' - well, at least it's feedback). I've given up on the others and am now thinking of what to do next. I think I need a few more posts before I can enter the Writers Circle, but critiquing first before submitting again as I feel that covering letter and synopsis are an art form in themselves that I have yet to master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does it work?

Greetings

Back