Desert Island Discs

D

Fanfare! FULL MANUSCRIPT REQUEST!

Charles Bukowski on Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Damian North

For over 50 years Desert Island Discs has been a weekly radio programme on BBC Radio 4. Authors, actors, scientists, politicians, comedians etc... are interviewed each week about their lives. They play 8 sound tracks throughout the interview that are meaningful to them as they retell the story of their lives. At the end of the programme they are stranded on a desert island and are given two books - The Bible and the complete works of the Shakespeare. They are allowed to take three further items with them to the island...

1) A Luxury Item (Not a Living Creature)

2) A Book.

3) One of the eight albums that they played during the show.

So, If you were stranded on an island - or on Desert Island Discs, what would be your luxury item, your book and your album????

I would love to hear your answers.

My answers:

1) My Luxury item would be a weekly Chinese Chicken Curry with Fried Rice.

2) My Book would be the complete memoirs of Hans Kung.

3) My Album would be Aloha From Hawaii - Elvis Presley

Luxury item - massive supply of quality loose-leaf tea, in foil wrapped sachets to retain freshness.
Book - Proust's 'Remembrance of Things Past', because (i) it is so big and (ii) I have never read it
Album - toss up between Carmina Burana [Orff] and a collection of choral music that includes Pergolesi's Stabat Mater. Probably the latter.

I used to contribute to a multi-user blog, and we wrote to the BBC to ask their permission to hold our own version of this as a podcast episode. They turned us down. ever-so-politely.

Luxury item - Toilet roll
Book - A Course in Miracles
Album - Anything by Orbital, as long as the speakers were big enough

Funnily enough, my friend came over last night and posed the same question :eek: So my answer is
Luxury item; a hunting knife
Album; Blind Guardian Live
Book; How To get off an Island using only a CD and a Knife. :p
Joking aside, I don't think I could pick one specific book. Could I trade the bible so I can have two books?

Luxury item: enough pen and paper to keep writing for a really long time (assuming no electricity or Internet so having my laptop would be useless)
Book: To Kill A Mockingbird
Album: Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Luxury item: I'm with Carol, unlimited pens and paper. I'd go crazy if I couldn't write my stuff down, or if the rain washed my crazed scrawlings in the sand away.
Book: The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux; has the right amount of action, love story, and horror to keep me interested for a while.
Album: Scripted by Icon for Hire; rock with rap, electronic, and hip hop infused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Fanfare! FULL MANUSCRIPT REQUEST!

Charles Bukowski on Writing

Back