Death of the Mid-list

The Accidental Birth of the Modern Novel

Give a chap a name

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought the whole sale or return thing was madness. Much good stuff in there. As someone who just about makes a living still as a midlist author, it is still possible - but it's certainly much harder than it used to be. (And easier in non-fiction than in fiction.)

Thank you for posting - really interesting. I support two local bookstores here on IoM - and I think actually, for a community of 85,000, we do quite well supporting WH Smiths, Waterstones and two independents. The UK book market is different in many ways, but I totally take the point about dripping coffee on the books and filling the place with stuff other than books....My current gripe is the rise of the 'adult' colouring book. Am going out on a limb here, I think it is one of the most inane activities ever. I'd rather Minions played disgusting video games all day in some ways....

My current gripe is the rise of the 'adult' colouring book.
I actually really like those. I have two, and the "adult" part of it is just the intricacy level. There's much more to color--one page takes me around 6-8 hours to finish. It's a great way to let my mind run while keeping my hands busy. I've brainstormed a few plot issues while I've colored.

I actually really like those. I have two, and the "adult" part of it is just the intricacy level. There's much more to color--one page takes me around 6-8 hours to finish. It's a great way to let my mind run while keeping my hands busy. I've brainstormed a few plot issues while I've colored.
That's a good point. Doing tasks (such as walking, painting - decorating or cleaning) does free the mind for brainstorming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Accidental Birth of the Modern Novel

Give a chap a name

Back