Dark Hunter Vs Shadowhunter

What's Your Idea of 'General Fiction'?

Color Thesaurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an interesting discussion on the Dark Hunter/Shadowhunter lawsuit. I have been wondering how far derivative fiction can go and as Agent Pete suggested, it can go on until the first appearance of grounds for a lawsuit. So we're stuck with fan fiction and people picking up on already existing ideas without actually spilling over into outright plagiarism. In music, plagiarism is perhaps more easily proved and original ideas more rigorously protected, but in the field of literature the boundaries seem to be more elastic or perhaps the laws protecting literary copyright were not made strong enough in the first place. I would feel very aggrieved if a person took hold of one of my characters and proceeded to develop it further in a novel of their own, and I would never think to do the same myself. I am finding great difficulty in reading P.D. James' "Death comes to Pemberley". I can't help feeling that she should have left fan fiction alone.

Haven't read that. Did they televise it...I have the feeling I saw it. Lizzy and Darcy are married, and there is a murder on the estate?

Did anyone read the Wuthering Heights sequel, The Dark Sargasso Sea? Drove past the Bronte Parsonage earlier this week. Totally cash strapped, I gather, despite hosting writing events.

And here is the scenery, Wycoller Country Park just before you get into Haworth: happened to turn in as a camera drone flew overhead. More4 was filming for a programme called 10 Rambles, due on air 10 March. The boulder is the Atom Panopticon, a sculpture installation but local kids wrenched off the nucleus, and now it needs restoring and sits outside the rangers house, the lady ranger told me.

Out on the wiley, windy moors .....

No, I shall spare you my Kate Bush impression.

Panopticon Atom Wycoller Feb 2016.JPG

Haven't read that. Did they televise it...I have the feeling I saw it. Lizzy and Darcy are married, and there is a murder on the estate?
No, I shall spare you my Kate Bush impression.
View attachment 1092
"Death Comes to Pemberley" was televised, and it's as you describe. I avoided seeing it. No, please don't hold back on the Kate Bush impression; her upper register is phenomenal. I can see you dancing around that tree and the other thing. I have never read "The Dark Sargasso Sea". Something has kept me from it, for some reason. Bad news about the Parsonage; where are all the Japanese/Chinese tourists? ;)

I don't recall being too impressed with the story. Murder mystery, could see what was coming a mile off. Beautifully filmed and all that.

The traitors...they must all be heading to Beatrix Potter's place. I have a friend who used to work there, cleaning---special conservation cleaning. Japanese lady brought her cat along, all the way from Japan. Took it on their outings, transported in its very own pram. But pussy cat was not allowed in, the meanies. A few claw marks here and there could only have added to the charm.

Family friend lived a while next door to Kate Bush before Wuthering Heights. Said she used to sing like that putting the washing on the line. Heh! Good for her.

Well, they and her in particular were gorg... if all somewhat fatter like *cough* a lot of people get as they get older. And Debbie Harry. My father disapproved of Tops of The Pops....said it was brainless rubbish until Debbie Harry, when he started watching it suddenly, wiggling his toes along with Heart of Glass.:rolleyes:

I liked the bit of this podcast about admitting to the books we haven't finished/read. I will confess, Moby Dick continues to defeat me.

It sounds implausible, but I think I actually have read the whole of the Bible. I had to read the Old Testament, King James Version at university, and I read the New Testament later, like Donna in Florida said, because I was working out what I believed in. I'm pretty sure I skipped chunks of the OT but I definitely dipped more than a toe into each of the Books. Since that is now getting on for 30 years ago, it is all a bit hazy. We had to write an essay on Job amongst other tasks. Sigh.

I thought Agent Pete was pretty scathing about Cassandra Clare...I read her first book, but it didn't really take. It felt sub-Buffy to me and since I was in the throes of Whedonthralldom at the time, I didn't feel like reading diluted BTVS type stuff. But I know many a student who has been encouraged to read more by Clare. Have never read any Kenyon at all, but this sounds like one of those super-litigious moments when no one will really come out a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's Your Idea of 'General Fiction'?

Color Thesaurus

Back