A great teahcer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Thomas

Basic
Jul 11, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi all

I feel like I’ve come to an impasse with my writing. I’ve learned a lot of the basics and want to elevate my writing to the next level but don’t know how.

I think a creative writing course might be useful but there seem to be so many on offer at different levels and prices I don’t know where to start.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Hi all

I feel like I’ve come to an impasse with my writing. I’ve learned a lot of the basics and want to elevate my writing to the next level but don’t know how.

I think a creative writing course might be useful but there seem to be so many on offer at different levels and prices I don’t know where to start.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
I've done a few Curtis Brown Creative courses. Prices vary depending on what you choose. There are short non-selective courses and longer selective courses which are more expensive.

There are so many fantastic videos on you tube you could start there for free. I have been to a few seminars and I have to say you don't really get much if any, one on one help with your work. Maybe think about what you crave? What do you really want from your money? Being in the company of other writers? One on one contact with an editor or mentor? If it's the first you might enjoy a festival more than a course?Or maybe put the money towards a read from a developmental editor. I bought one from Blue Pencil Agency that was excellent-like 10 pages long-for about 650.00.

Last edited:
There are so many fantastic videos on you tube you could start there for free. I have been to a few seminars and I have to say you don't really get much if any, one on one help with your work. Maybe think about what you crave? What do you really want from your money? Being in the company of other writers? One on one contact with an editor or mentor? If it's the first you might enjoy a festival more than a course?Or maybe put the money towards a read from a developmental editor. I bought one from Blue Pencil Agency that was excellent-like 10 pages long-for about 650.00.

Thanks PJ. I’ve been all over YouTube videos and don’t really feel I’m getting anywhere. I already had a disappointing, experience with big editor which left me with an MS in a similar state as it was before and a huge dent in my savings. I don’t want to rely on one person improving one project, I want to learn how to get better myself for all projects, if that makes sense.

Thanks PJ. I’ve been all over YouTube videos and don’t really feel I’m getting anywhere. I already had a disappointing, experience with big editor which left me with an MS in a similar state as it was before and a huge dent in my savings. I don’t want to rely on one person improving one project, I want to learn how to get better myself for all projects, if that makes sense.
Trying til you find what works always makes sense.

Have you looked at The Open University's free course website Open Learn. It has several literature modules that might prove useful. Here's the link: Open Learning

The Open University also do literature modules (paid for) via their BA in Creative Writing. You could also look at Manchester Met Uni and Bath Spa Uni which are both renowned for their creative writing courses (not sure if they do short courses).

Last edited:
The people behind the novel prize seem really passionate about helping new writers. They might be as thorough in teaching as they are in judging.
The main thing is that your work gets actually read and actually commented on by people who have experience in publishing, editing, writing. Usually you get comments by fellow students. You can get that here or Huddle.

Elevating your writing to the next level is about writing from your soul and not just from your brain. Don't be afraid to "break" rules (as long as you know the so-called-rules and know why you're breaking them).

A good learning tip I've seen/heard often is: read a book for enjoyment then read it again. If something isn't working for you, note why. When things really are working for you, analyse what the writer has done to make it so. Obviously do this many times with different authors.

Competitions are expensive, but look for ones that give personalised critique. You may get nothing out of it or your judge may give you gems of advice. It's a bit of a lottery so play it only as far as you can afford (for me that's limiting myself to only one or two competitions in the year (unless I find free ones).

Elevating your writing to the next level is about writing from your soul and not just from your brain. Don't be afraid to "break" rules (as long as you know the so-called-rules and know why you're breaking them).

A good learning tip I've seen/heard often is: read a book for enjoyment then read it again. If something isn't working for you, note why. When things really are working for you, analyse what the writer has done to make it so. Obviously do this many times with different authors.

Competitions are expensive, but look for ones that give personalised critique. You may get nothing out of it or your judge may give you gems of advice. It's a bit of a lottery so play it only as far as you can afford (for me that's limiting myself to only one or two competitions in the year (unless I find free ones).
Thanks Hannah. I don’t have a soul so maybe that’s why I’m struggling

Brandon Sanderson's lectures are free on YouTube.
Yes! This! I love these. I've learned so much from these. I think even for non SFF writers, there's great stuff in here.
Here's a link to the first one (there's 13 of them online) ..
Sanderson has loads of helpful stuff on his channel too. And he has a podcast... I don't know how this guy writes so much with everything else he does. It's a mystery.

Not sure what you're interested in @LA Thomas , but I'll just plunk a variety of stuff here. I lean SFF, so be warned. :)

I have done quite a few classes from Master Class, and got some great gems from these: James Patterson, Malcolm Gladwell, Margaret Atwood, Dan Brown, Neil Gaiman, David Baldacci, Aaron Sorkin, Shonda Rhimes, N. K. Jemisin, and I can see even more on there now that I would like to do. It's not cheap, but once you have a membership, you can access all the classes (or you used to be able to?)

Have you checked the "Hero's Journey" stuff? There's a lot of new "journeys" now too. I'm taking a class now called "Beyond the Hero's Journey" which has been interesting. If you want some links to various journeys (online, free), let me know. I'm finding they're all useful when combined.

I got a lot out of this book (and I did a course with this guy) "The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers" by Christopher Vogler. I can't remember if it's screenwriting skewed (I used to be a screenwriter) but I think story is story, and it's all useful.

Some more books... I think you need to read a lot of them to find the nuggets, but here's some that I've read with good nuggets...

"Characters & Viewpoint" by Orson Scott Card (his website is full of really helpful stuff)
"Beginnings, Middles, & Ends" by Nancy Kress
"The Art of Character" by David Corbett
"Writing for Emotional Impact" by Karl Iglesias (he's a screenwriter, but I thought this was relevant for all stories)
"Pity the Reader - on writing with style" by Kurt Vonnegut and Suzanne McConnell (I'm reading this one currently)

And for something different, books on method acting, and how to get into a character's head. (might help with that lack of soul you mentioned, haha!)
"Truth" by Susan Batson
"The Lee Strasberg Notes"

Hope there's something helpful in all that.

I find you just gotta spread a wide net, and cherry pick the stuff that works for you. It's time consuming, but it's a long game after all. It's one of the things I love about writing... the constant learning of it.

Yes! This! I love these. I've learned so much from these. I think even for non SFF writers, there's great stuff in here.
Here's a link to the first one (there's 13 of them online) ..
Sanderson has loads of helpful stuff on his channel too. And he has a podcast... I don't know how this guy writes so much with everything else he does. It's a mystery.

Not sure what you're interested in @LA Thomas , but I'll just plunk a variety of stuff here. I lean SFF, so be warned. :)

I have done quite a few classes from Master Class, and got some great gems from these: James Patterson, Malcolm Gladwell, Margaret Atwood, Dan Brown, Neil Gaiman, David Baldacci, Aaron Sorkin, Shonda Rhimes, N. K. Jemisin, and I can see even more on there now that I would like to do. It's not cheap, but once you have a membership, you can access all the classes (or you used to be able to?)

Have you checked the "Hero's Journey" stuff? There's a lot of new "journeys" now too. I'm taking a class now called "Beyond the Hero's Journey" which has been interesting. If you want some links to various journeys (online, free), let me know. I'm finding they're all useful when combined.

I got a lot out of this book (and I did a course with this guy) "The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers" by Christopher Vogler. I can't remember if it's screenwriting skewed (I used to be a screenwriter) but I think story is story, and it's all useful.

Some more books... I think you need to read a lot of them to find the nuggets, but here's some that I've read with good nuggets...

"Characters & Viewpoint" by Orson Scott Card (his website is full of really helpful stuff)
"Beginnings, Middles, & Ends" by Nancy Kress
"The Art of Character" by David Corbett
"Writing for Emotional Impact" by Karl Iglesias (he's a screenwriter, but I thought this was relevant for all stories)
"Pity the Reader - on writing with style" by Kurt Vonnegut and Suzanne McConnell (I'm reading this one currently)

And for something different, books on method acting, and how to get into a character's head. (might help with that lack of soul you mentioned, haha!)
"Truth" by Susan Batson
"The Lee Strasberg Notes"

Hope there's something helpful in all that.

I find you just gotta spread a wide net, and cherry pick the stuff that works for you. It's time consuming, but it's a long game after all. It's one of the things I love about writing... the constant learning of it.

Thanks a lot LJB. I will check it all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bio out of date

A great teahcer.

Back