Could one of you Brits do me a favor?

Your book ISN'T for everyone: Dispelling the myth of Everyreader...

Fanfare! Latest WEATHERMEN Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must confess that I know practically nothing about British literary magazines. Do they publish stories from Yanks? I would think they do. Any advice? Can someone post a list of the top ten UK lit mags? I would love to give it a shot.

Many thanks in advance.

Don't know anything, but Google would be a good start. I should think there are plenty of choices.

I assume they would give such information on websites, though I see no reason why they shouldn't accept submissions from Americans. Although preference might be given to native writers, it depends on the company.

What genre? Or pure lit? The Granta is excellent. But there are hundreds...

In no particular order -- and some are web-only -- The White Review, Aesop, Granta, STORGY, Bohemyth, London Magazine, Fiction Desk, Crannog, The Interpreter's House, Long Story Short, The Moth, The Penny Dreadful, Hark Magazine. Some of the above are Irish and therefore British only in the sense of being from the British Isles sensu lato...[disclaimer to avoid nationalist ire...]. But there are many, and a web search will identify most of them.

In terms of the 'top' ones, it's subjective. I'd worry more about whether what you are writing is compatible with the editor's tastes, than whether the magazine is a 'top' one.

In no particular order -- and some are web-only -- The White Review, Aesop, Granta, STORGY, Bohemyth, London Magazine, Fiction Desk, Crannog, The Interpreter's House, Long Story Short, The Moth, The Penny Dreadful, Hark Magazine. Some of the above are Irish and therefore British only in the sense of being from the British Isles sensu lato...[disclaimer to avoid nationalist ire...]. But there are many, and a web search will identify most of them.

In terms of the 'top' ones, it's subjective. I'd worry more about whether what you are writing is compatible with the editor's tastes, than whether the magazine is a 'top' one.

Thanks Marc - that helps a lot.

Granta tends to put together issues around themes ...but they don't decide on the theme beforehand, & claim that they pick a theme from the material they get sent. So if your work does not fit the theme that is manifesting itself among their other entries, you have no chance. Seems like an odd way to go about things to me, but what do I know.

This is a great thread. just wondering if there was a reciprocal arrangement for us'Brits' to get published in the good old US of A ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your book ISN'T for everyone: Dispelling the myth of Everyreader...

Fanfare! Latest WEATHERMEN Cover

Back