Help! Commonplace Book vs Scrapbook

Fantastic Video: In-depth interview with Christopher Vogler

News Online Seminar by Blue Pencil Agency Nov. 3oth

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianY

Well I'm stuck. I'm trying to decide if my latest cookbook project a mix of 30 short essays/50 recipes/100 photos should be described in its proposal as a "commonplace book" or a scrapbook. Technically, it's a commonplace book, but I fear it's too archaic sounding. A package like this one could also be considered a scrapbook but that sounds too informal. On a sidenote, I love the way many authors have used the phrase "commonplace book," especially William Least Heat Moon in his PrairyErth.

It sounds chaotic in a good way.

But I think the answer will depend on what exactly the book is.

Do the essays have one common theme / topic / focus? I.e. your family's recipes, family antics, family photos? Or is it made up of random short stories, random recipes, random photos? Does everything relate to the recipes?

Would maybe a blog be the better format for this? You could then sell is as the book to the blog to your readership with extra content.

Barbara, it is indeed essays, recipes, and photos on a common theme. (the theme is a place, not me or anything personal)

I've been thinking about the blog idea but I see it as a separate question.

... and after a lousy night's sleep, I'm leaning towards "scrapbook."

On the basis a place is connecting it all, could it be called a travel journal? Or is that too far off the mark? Or a cookery journal? Or foody travel journal?

But scrapbook is probably a good fit.

Thanks for the comments Barbara. Part of it is travel journal, but creating new categories isn't going to work. No matter what, it will wind up on the cookbook shelf at big chain bookstores and hopefully make it to the cookbook shelves at big chain supermarkets and cooking supply shops.

Are you self-publishing? I mean if it is a book where you cook with leftovers a scrap book could be inspired. But for a publishers I think Barbara is right. They are going to want a theme by which to sell it. Otherwise it is like a hot skillet with no handle.

I loved Prairie Earth. I grew up near the Flint Hills. I recently listened to Blue Highway on audible. It was a reminder how much has changed along the Blue Highways since he made his journey in Ghost Dancing.

Perhaps think of it this way - who will most likely read it? My guess is that someone wanting travelogue won't necessarily be a cook, but someone wanting a good cookbook often LOVES reading more about the place those recipes come from, and immersing themselves in the feel of it.
So, I reckon that's your market.
Ergo, Cookbook-plus as a category?

Well ... thanks again ... I appreciate all these answers. We are talking about a cookbook with a very strong sense of place - indeed, there are several niche publishers devoted to the area.

I am still working on the proposal and doubt I'll start shopping it around anytime soon.

Well ... thanks again ... I appreciate all these answers. We are talking about a cookbook with a very strong sense of place - indeed, there are several niche publishers devoted to the area.

I am still working on the proposal and doubt I'll start shopping it around anytime soon.
Y ou could always drop a recipe on us for market research.
Excited Winnie The Pooh GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastic Video: In-depth interview with Christopher Vogler

News Online Seminar by Blue Pencil Agency Nov. 3oth

Back