Question: Can anybody help me understand this story (below)?

Formatting can be a headache

Rant Re Nick Cheetham's comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
My problem understanding the story below, edited from The Bookseller yesterday, is: why should publishers be signing up to use this service? And pay for it. Do they not have staff members with these skills?

Have I missed something?? @AgentPete – any ideas?

Domney launches pre-publication business with Head of Zeus and Joffe Books on board (headline unedited)

Holly Domney has launched a new pre-publication business, Domney Books. It "prepares authors for publication as well as their manuscripts", she says. Besides the publisher clients (above) signed so far, DB "is supporting 10 authors directly at launch".

These include a Sunday Times bestselling crime author (why does he/she need this?) and a debut romance self-publisher. Eight further UK and US action, adventure, thriller, science fiction and fantasy authors are also working with Domney "in their quest to publish"...

Hmm. Is this to reduce in-house staffing costs by out-sourcing . . . what exactly? Editors and marketing staff?

Maybe there's a great idea, but the publisher wants to outsource the development process? Honestly though, no idea, sorry.

Yes, I was a bit confused at first. I do agree this this looks quite like outsourcing. It’s far from unusual for publishers to outsource editing, but this looks to be a bit more than that.

These include a Sunday Times bestselling crime author (why does he/she need this?) and a debut romance self-publisher. Eight further UK and US action, adventure, thriller, science fiction and fantasy authors are also working with Domney "in their quest to publish"...
It’s quite usual for authors to build trusting relationships with editors. If the editor moves publishers, the author might be tempted to do so, as well. So there might be a pre-existing relationship.

However, if not – then yes, it’s odd.

Interesting! Wonder what their business model is? Follow the money...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formatting can be a headache

Rant Re Nick Cheetham's comments

Back