If Wishes Were Horses...

Help! Nudge letters to agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emurelda

Basic
Feb 27, 2015
London
I've just volunteered an hour to test the British Library's PLR system. That's Public Lending Rights. Not that I know much about it - not being an author and all *grumble grumble* - but they're looking for people at different stages in their writing career. My reason to do this is more of a curiosity for how the system works and to give a little of my time to a great institution. And really it's to visit the British Library - I just love the place. It's wonderful.

News | The Society of Authors

Last edited:
Email sent. I have walked across the courtyard area, just outside the main entrance, many times when walking between St Pancras and Euston Stations, but never been inside. Time I had a look, while doing something worthwhile.

Following on from Emurelda's posting about the British PLR website review, I went along today and it was one hour well spent. It gave me a good insight into how the system works for writers, and, importantly, how writers receive payment when books are borrowed from public libraries.. So fellow Litopians, to add my voice to Emurelda's,, if you have an hour free on Tuesday 12th July and you are able to get to the British Library, your services would be very welcomed in reviewing and providing feedback on the PLR website. Just click on the link above.

Hopefully, one day we will all be adding our published books to the listings!

I completed mine today too. And yes, thanks @Geoff for the mention, in my session I too learned about the PLR system. How to register as an author, registering your book, its user-ability etc. The British Library is in charge of the PLR system and has been since 2013. They will use our testing feedback to revamp the system as it's outdated. So the more feedback they get the better it will be for future users.

It was unexpected to receive a token voucher as a thank you from them that you can spend in their shop. Got me a BL tote bag, bookmark and some crayons! lol. Just thought you should know. :)

Yes the voucher was a nice touch, I haven't used mine yet. It was my first visit to the British Library and I must admit, I was very impressed!

PLR is great. My annual payment is relatively small but always welcome - and its lovely to know that people are borrowing my book. :)

Is it just the website they're revamping or the method of calculating payment?

Hi Kitty, the session was to User test the website itself, ease of access, ability to navigate around it and presentation. Then to give comments as to how it could be improved or changed.

Interesting. I look forward to seeing the revamped website. Out of interest what areas did you see room for improvement in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

If Wishes Were Horses...

Help! Nudge letters to agents

Back