Book Cover Designer? Illustrator? Artist? What?

The Hemingwrite.

M

Ok *Sigh* Tell Me What You Think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of our Litopian family is aware that in my last life, I spent more than twenty-five years slaving over a drawing table as an advertising and corporate identity designer, later Art Director (Is that term still accurate?)in ad agencies and in graphics specialty studios. I've operated a now-small graphics studio since 1976, which has come in very handy for my own self-publishing ventures. Last month, after spending some time working corrections on several friends' book cover artwork, I decided to post an "Open Letter" to Book Cover Illustrators in the hope of getting a few points across. Specifically, while technology has made huge changes to the way illustration is now produced, Book Covers aren't computer game stills, and especially, if they are to be used in a variety of sizes (for promotional use) and in print (for real paper books), they require the artist have some knowledge beyond their flashy techniques. For those of you who may be considering the step of hiring a cover artist, here's my open letter. I tried to keep it as rant-free as possible...
http://www.sailletales.com/?p=3649

That must have taken ages to write; even longer to gather the wisdom to put into it. Thanks for sharing.

I noticed you're starting your graphics courses. I hope you get instructors that will constantly provide you with real-world, hands-on stuff and make budgetary considerations a part of the process. It's great fun in any case and the learning is never over. Reminds me of something else... why, writing is like that, isn't it? You're gonna become a double threat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hemingwrite.

M

Ok *Sigh* Tell Me What You Think

Back