Fanfare! Blog Link in Main Menu

Blog Post: And Another One Gone…

Huddle Huddle June 29th - 5.00pm UK time - Book Here

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
You’ll see that there’s a new “Blog” link now in the main menu above, the second link from the “Home” link.

Clicking the “Blog” item will now take you to a list of all your blog posts, and another button “Add New Post” that will allow you to make a new blog post.

If you haven’t yet started public blogging here, please do!

There’s a set-up guide for you here.

On the home page (which my computer atomatically logs me into) there's no easy way to find the blog. Having the link on the top bar helps me go there to write it. But there's no easy way to just view it from inside the site. It's not under forums, or what's new, or in a sidebar. Is very easy not to see it.

On the home page (which my computer atomatically logs me into) there's no easy way to find the blog. Having the link on the top bar helps me go there to write it. But there's no easy way to just view it from inside the site. It's not under forums, or what's new, or in a sidebar. Is very easy not to see it.
OK, so when you say view it, do you mean this page:
?

If so, would a sub-menu item work, under the main "Blog" menu item?

Ah, no. I didn't mean another link for writing a new post. I meant a link for those of us in the site to easily view the last blog post or posts.
I know quite a few of us know about the blog, because we write it. But we get new members all the time. And it would be nice for them to easily be abe to see what things are available. They can see all the forums. They can see the excellent seminars and the craft chats. But where are we advertising the blog for them to go and read and share? It feels a bit like the blog and Litopia are disconnected.

Ah, no. I didn't mean another link for writing a new post. I meant a link for those of us in the site to easily view the last blog post or posts.
I know quite a few of us know about the blog, because we write it. But we get new members all the time. And it would be nice for them to easily be abe to see what things are available. They can see all the forums. They can see the excellent seminars and the craft chats. But where are we advertising the blog for them to go and read and share? It feels a bit like the blog and Litopia are disconnected.
Ok now I'm on Vagabonds side. It would be nice to just click and the first thing you see is the list of blogs not your own.

However I think the whole point of the blogs is that they are public and disconnected from Litopia. If we want to put some of our fiction up, or write on politics etc-being separate from Litopia is a good thing. You dont have to write about writing. Your audience is THE WORLD.

OK, take a look now, like that...?
I have mentioned this elsewhere but not sure my comments were seen. When i come to the Litopia site either via an email notification about a blog or specifically to look at the blogs, i can read them but can't comment on them unless i then go to the forums section and trawl through the posts there to find the particular blog. I want to be able to click on a link on the top bar of blog posts, read and comment on a blog post and write my own blog post from there. Is it possible to make the 'your blog' button into a 'blog' button that does all the above please?

I want to be able to click on a link on the top bar of blog posts, read and comment on a blog post and write my own blog post from there. Is it possible to make the 'your blog' button into a 'blog' button that does all the above please?
Just so as I don't misunderstand, when you say “top bar” can you either give me a link or a screenshot, pls? :) p.

Just so as I don't misunderstand, when you say “top bar” can you either give me a link or a screenshot, pls? :) p.
I can't send a photo as it's too big. The blue bar at the top of the litopia site that has 'home' 'your blog' 'your stuff' 'calendar' 'what's new' 'forums' 'chat' etc. Do you know which bit i mean?

Have a look now.

If the menu wording needs to be changed for clarity, let me know.

“View All Blogs,”, “View Your Blog Posts” and “Write A Blog Post” all take you to the appropriate area on the WordPress site. If you’re not logged in to your Account Portal on the WordPress site, you’ll be presented with a login box first. There’s actually no reason to log out of your Account Portal, I personally never bother logging out.

“Write A Comment” takes you to Cafe Life inside the Colony, and list all blog posts, the most recent at the top. You can then click on the relevant post to comment.

Have I understood OK?

Have a look now.

If the menu wording needs to be changed for clarity, let me know.

“View All Blogs,”, “View Your Blog Posts” and “Write A Blog Post” all take you to the appropriate area on the WordPress site. If you’re not logged in to your Account Portal on the WordPress site, you’ll be presented with a login box first. There’s actually no reason to log out of your Account Portal, I personally never bother logging out.

“Write A Comment” takes you to Cafe Life inside the Colony, and list all blog posts, the most recent at the top. You can then click on the relevant post to comment.

Have I understood OK?
Hi, kind of. A few things though:

i can only get to the blog through the Colony and every time i leave it I'm automatically logged out (not sure if there's something I can do about that or whether it's to do with the site).

When i try to log in to the Colony to give feedback on a blog I've read, I click on login and immediately it takes me to the main Litopia site homepage (and not to the blog on that site that i was trying to read/feedback on).

Is there a way to view blog posts and be able to comment on them whilst logged into the main Litopia site without having to search through all posts?

i can only get to the blog through the Colony and every time i leave it I'm automatically logged out (not sure if there's something I can do about that or whether it's to do with the site).
This is definitely at your end. For some reason your browser (or security sotfware) is logging you out.
To stay logged in to the Colony (as I do for months on end) your browser needs to accept a simple cookie from us and save it. The cookies' sole function is to let the site software know you're OK and you're logged in.
If you're using the Edge browser, some info here... what browser are you using?

When i try to log in to the Colony to give feedback on a blog I've read, I click on login and immediately it takes me to the main Litopia site homepage (and not to the blog on that site that i was trying to read/feedback on).
If you can sort out the above issue, this won't arise.
Is there a way to view blog posts and be able to comment on them whilst logged into the main Litopia site without having to search through all posts?
Not at the moment, but I’m thinking about it.

Basically, I’ve disabled direct commenting on the blog post itself on the main site (i.e. where the post is initially published). I did this to avoid dealing with the approval queue, particularly non-members comments.

However, if someone would like to volunteer to be the Comment Moderator, then we could certainly allow direct commenting.

This is definitely at your end. For some reason your browser (or security sotfware) is logging you out.
To stay logged in to the Colony (as I do for months on end) your browser needs to accept a simple cookie from us and save it. The cookies' sole function is to let the site software know you're OK and you're logged in.

Basically, I’ve disabled direct commenting on the blog post itself on the main site (i.e. where the post is initially published). I did this to avoid dealing with the approval queue, particularly non-members comments.

However, if someone would like to volunteer to be the Comment Moderator, then we could certainly allow direct commenting.
Understood. Sorry i dont have time to volunteer! Will look at the cookie issue. Thanks for the link

If it's a case of checking comments once or twice a day to ensure no spam or offence, I could moderate.
I always read the blogs even if I don't comment.

(Incidentally, I tend to do Litopia from within the Colony on the app on my phone, or on the Edge browser on my laptop. I rarely look at the external website. And I've never been logged out since I joined four months ago.)

If it's a case of checking comments once or twice a day to ensure no spam or offence, I could moderate.
I always read the blogs even if I don't comment.
I've just opened *new* posts up to comments. It may take a while to see what level of comments we're going to get... let's see...

Blog Post: And Another One Gone…

Huddle Huddle June 29th - 5.00pm UK time - Book Here

Back