Being Bashed (I think...) on Goodreads

Fanfare! Contract and Two New Releases!

D

Fanfare! Flash Fiction Published

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a standing Google search that does a weekly report on each of my titles and my name. I'm really not so self-absorbed, it's more to see which pirating sites and independent reviewers have posted anything connected. Yesterday, I found four of my titles had been listed on the Speshul Snowflayke Books shelf (their spelling) on Goodreads, then picked up by a pirate site, leaving the "SS" designation in place. Since I didn't know what that all meant, I tried to get info on GR to no avail, but found the Special Snowflake meme explained online. Since I'm not one to whine and complain... much ... I wanted to find out who would have done this to my titles, but then... after more thought, I figured that derision and sarcasm may just open up some dialog and discussion of my books, so publicity being better than cringing in a vacuum, decided to not worry about it. Anyone else have such hijinks happen to them?

Since Breakfast at Tiffany's is also on that list, you're in good company :)

Seriously, let the haters hate. The heck with them. A writer's life is too short to waste your creative powers engaging with schmoes who can't schpell properly...

Taylor Swift says it best. You could always do a spoof video like the police guy and have it go viral :p ... perhaps not lol

I've lost track of the amount of people and things I've seen described as special snowflake. I'd definitely ignore it!

Well that was a scary read, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Still as they say, bad publicity is better than none, and the intelligent ones with see through the mush ;)

It never ceases to amaze me that each time I relax a little and get back to the writing, some such bollocks surfaces with a new and unexpected face. I'll get used to it. I swear I will...
Probably not. I haven't gotten used to it yet. Probably because I can't even imagine doing that kind of thing to someone, author or not. :(

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

I had to look up the Special Snowflake thing; never heard of it before. It all sounds a bit childish to me. I'd just ignore it, and keep doing what you think you should be doing. As has been said before, there will always be people who don't like what you do; but you're not writing for them, you're writing for the people who do like what you do.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that those on Goodreads who mercilessly criticise a book or writer are blocked creatives who are jealous that someone else is not blocked and is able to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Contract and Two New Releases!

D

Fanfare! Flash Fiction Published

Back