Be Careful When Submitting!

D

Fanfare! Map contract

Learning from Reviews...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know both websites and been using them for the last two years. But valuable information for anyone new (or old) to searching for an agent.

LOL The first thing I did after reading your post was to go and look at the websites of the agents who said they would read my manuscript. One of the agencies is an agency I'd already heard of and so that one I feel more than okay about. Which, didn't stop me from going to take a look at the website. The 2nd agency, puzzles me a little. I mean, it puzzled me that this agent was even at the conference. I almost came right out and asked him, "Are you looking to take the agency in a different direction?" Up until now, the agency has mostly represented autobiographies and non-fiction. They've represented big names for autobiographies but let's face it, usually an autobiography is a one time deal. But then I saw the name of an historical romance writer who is very mainstream. It does seem like they are legitimately taking on romantic fiction and why not a paranormal romance. What I do know is that I really liked the agent I spoke to from this agency.

Something you can do is look at who represents authors you like. Also, look at which publishing houses are publishing what author, and trace it back to the agency or agent. I bet you'll find that one agency has more than one author at any publisher. So that part of what you get with an agent, is someone who has a relationship with a particular editor. They are friends. So, if the agent believes in your manuscript they'll call up their friend and say, 'I loved this book. I know your taste, do you want to take a look at it?' Which, gets your foot in the door. They are professionals so I imagine there aren't any hard feelings if a manuscript an agent sends to an editor doesn't get taken on.

All good. I'll kick off a similar thread there while we sort that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Fanfare! Map contract

Learning from Reviews...

Back