Banned Books Week

28 Calls for Submissions in October 2017 - Paying Markets

How Long should your Novel be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh lawd. This again. Since when is the job of writing not to examine the universal truths of the human condition? Better not grow roses in Lancashire or write about them or paint them. They came from somewhere else.

We now live in a world where the idiot masses get their way simply by screaming loud enough.

The uninformed now control public sensibilities, deciding what is true on a whim and using their power only to further their own egotistical agendas.

It is truly a pathetic time to be alive.

We now live in a world where the idiot masses get their way simply by screaming loud enough.

The uninformed now control public sensibilities, deciding what is true on a whim and using their power only to further their own egotistical agendas.

It is truly a pathetic time to be alive.

LOL! This sounds a lot more grumpy than I intended. I do hate forums at times. You type something in a sort of distracted way but it reads like you are fuming from your secret laboratory, plotting the demise of the hero sent to kill you. :p

Howard, I've trained myself to walk away from the computer, come back and reread myself before posting. That works 98% of the time. Tone is the most easily misunderstood aspect of any public post.

LOL! This sounds a lot more grumpy than I intended. I do hate forums at times. You type something in a sort of distracted way but it reads like you are fuming from your secret laboratory, plotting the demise of the hero sent to kill you. :p

Neverless, you have a right to feel this way.

True enough, but I could have found a better way to frame my feelings :)[/QUOTE

Come on, Howard....squeezing out sparks ain't no sin! Quite by chance, this morning I came across a quote by an American humourist called Evan Ensar, who lived to the ripe old age of 96, which says much about the therapeutic value of laughing at life:

“Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.”

I don't think this is just a modern phenomena, look at D H Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover, banned from being published in the UK from the late 1920s, until 1960, despite being published in mainland Europe. Same reasons - sexual content and profanity. It is just a lot easier and cheaper to respond now, anyone with computer access can become a 'guardian of decency' in a few strokes of a keyboard. The solution is, just keep writing.
Ironically, Lady Catterley's Lover sold millions of copies when it was finally allowed to be published!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

28 Calls for Submissions in October 2017 - Paying Markets

How Long should your Novel be?

Back