Awake, my pen.

Hi everyone - I came back to take a look

32 Writing Conferences in August 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2018
Edinburgh
Hello everyone,

I was here briefly a few years ago, and you gave me a great selection of literary fiction to read. I think my account has been deleted in the interim, and meanwhile rather too much life has happened to me so I probably look more haggared than in this profile picture.

I'm longing to get back to writing fiction, and maybe one day get something into publishable shape. There are perhaps too many Edinburgh writers, but there can't be many with a combination of interests that includes church history and music, forestry, entomology, wild swimming, and Walter Scott.

I recently had an idea for a character and a story arc, and rediscovered an old idea for a novel which I'd forgotten, which I still like, and which it would fit into beautifully, so perhaps it's time to chip away at it again. The premise is a local history conference, with a selection of eccentric characters, researching a selection of equally eccentric historical characters.

It all seems dauntingly big and complicated, when I have a full-time job and various extra-curricular activities all which demand a good deal of brainpower. Where do I begin, when novel-writing time is spare, weary half hours?

This website seems dauntingly complicated too, but I hope you will inspire me.

Welcome (back) to the Colony! How complicated it may be is open to discussion, but I can't think of a better place for an aspiring writer to find support regarding technique, finding time and energy to write, and so on!

Where to start? Begin. As hard as that is. Sit before a blank page (or screen) and write. Snatch those moments where you can, when the inspiration niggles so much you can't do anything else but expel it into the world. Those moments add up ...

And don't forget, every single first draft is vomit. But the vomit has be spewed forth before you can scrape away the true story underneath.

Hello :)

'The premise is a local history conference, with a selection of eccentric characters, researching a selection of equally eccentric historical characters.'

Sounds like Malcolm Bradbury-type market territory. 'Eating People is Wrong,' etc.

Welcome back! Take your time to find your way around. I'm sure you'll find a bunch of people here to help you on your way. Happy writing! :)

Welcome back. My advice would be to create in depth character profiles for each of the MCs; difficult to write sensible dialogue/actions without a 3D figure in front of you mentally. Once you know them well, the writing itself should be easier; they may 'tell' you what to write, flow will be less stilted.

Thanks all! Yes, my previous writing efforts have begun with nurturing characters into lives of their own, so I am working on them first and starting to relate them to each other. And must check out Malcolm Bradbury...

Nice to have you back, Eleanor :) We use new software, so all the old accounts have long been removed.

Yes, it is a bit daunting, constantly wondering how we can make it more accessible for new folk, any brainwaves let me know...

Welcome back.
Thanks all! Yes, my previous writing efforts have begun with nurturing characters into lives of their own, so I am working on them first and starting to relate them to each other. And must check out Malcolm Bradbury...
You're on the right path. Once you know your character as well as your best friend, you can partner with their actives and situations and report them to the audience as Watson did for Holmes.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi everyone - I came back to take a look

32 Writing Conferences in August 2018

Back