Author under fire for using asian pen name!

Dead authors as brands

L

The Hard Conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the area of America that I live in, "attractive" women are supposed to be blue-eyed, bleached blondes with deep tans. My natural hair color is blonde. So, of course, I started dyeing it dark brown and staying inside when I was 13.

I've dyed it ever since. Mostly I color it shades of red. Right now it's auburn. I still have never once lain out in an attempt to get a tan, though I go hiking a lot. I think natural redheads are lucky. But of course, easy for me to say when I'm not a natural redhead.

I've dyed it ever since. Mostly I color it shades of red. Right now it's auburn. I still have never once lain out in an attempt to get a tan, though I go hiking a lot. I think natural redheads are lucky. But of course, easy for me to say when I'm not a natural redhead.
I don't know about @MontanaMan65 or @Jennifer Stone, but I forget I have it unless someone mentions it. The jokes don't come as often the older you get (depending on who you hang around with; I do have one friend that bugs me about it almost every time I see him). It is a little awkward when people come up and say "People would kill for your hair color. Seriously." or "Oh, man, I've been trying to dye my hair that color for years." (both have been told to me). Like, what am I supposed to say to that? lol It's not so bad. I hooked my hubby, so it all worked out for the best :D

We really can't change our hair color because no other color actually fits. I threatened to dye mine electric blue, but it was to elicit a "That is so wrong!" from younger co-workers (I was 50 at the time).

Ever since I was a teen, I was teased because everyone thought I had an explosive temper and I think they all wanted to see how bad it would get. Lots of people with red-hair have that kind of temper. Mainly because others want to keep "poking the bear". What happens when you continually tease a dog?

According to the research that I've done, red-headed women have it easier then men. They are pursued because they are perceived as "exotic" by men with other colors (and yes there are plenty of horror stories associated with it). Red-headed men, on the other hand, continue to get ridiculed because they aren't tan. Look up where the term "red-headed step-child" comes from. It is enlightening!

I don't know about @MontanaMan65 or @Jennifer Stone, but I forget I have it unless someone mentions it. The jokes don't come as often the older you get (depending on who you hang around with; I do have one friend that bugs me about it almost every time I see him). It is a little awkward when people come up and say "People would kill for your hair color. Seriously." or "Oh, man, I've been trying to dye my hair that color for years." (both have been told to me). Like, what am I supposed to say to that? lol It's not so bad. I hooked my hubby, so it all worked out for the best :D

I used to get teased as a child, from someone who's hair was redder than mine and her friends. Until I pointed out that their taunting was a reflection of how they felt about their redhead friend. "Well if you say that about me, what do you think of Claudia? Her hair is much more 'ginger' than mine." I don't remember if her name was actually Claudia but it was something similar.
As I've grown older, my hair has turned more auburn/light brunette. Though it will be dyed black again by the end of this month.

I actually never knew that redheads were perceived "differently" until I was an adult. I never heard the term "ginger," and I never heard the "no soul" bit, either, until I was in college.

When I was a teenager, I had a crush on a pair of redheaded twins. In college, I had crushes on two different redheaded guys. Their hair color never really played into it. I also noticed recently (while going back over all the stories I've written since college) that I seem to like to make my male protagonists redheads with blue eyes and names that start with "C." I did this three times! And I don't know why, as my "type" is actually dark brown hair and brown eyes.

But yeah, @MontanaMan65, I think redheaded women do have it easier. I have heard from guys that redheaded women are "the preference."

So the no soul thing didn't really come into play until a few years ago when an episode of South Park popularized it. And then that annoying kid did a YouTube response video. Yeah... I was in college then and have had my dair share of teases.

On the other hand, it's been scientifically proven that we have a higher pain tolerance. Which is good and bad. Means it takes more anesthesia to knock us out, but also more date rape drug so.... there's that I guess lol

So the no soul thing didn't really come into play until a few years ago when an episode of South Park popularized it. And then that annoying kid did a YouTube response video. Yeah... I was in college then and have had my dair share of teases.

On the other hand, it's been scientifically proven that we have a higher pain tolerance. Which is good and bad. Means it takes more anesthesia to knock us out, but also more date rape drug so.... there's that I guess lol

I can verify the anaesthesia, having three filings in one sitting when the local didn't kick in until I was on my way home. I don't have a very high pain threshold though. My skin isn't terribly sensitive to products or chemicals but heat and pain is super sensitive. I feel the cold more keenly as well so that might just be me.

I can verify the anaesthesia, having three filings in one sitting when the local didn't kick in until I was on my way home. I don't have a very high pain threshold though. My skin isn't terribly sensitive to products or chemicals but heat and pain is super sensitive. I feel the cold more keenly as well so that might just be me.

The pain that comes from heat and cold are a red-head's bane. I have been feeling really odd. It takes less anesthesia and pain pills to knock me out, but that may be from me getting older and my body not processing the narcotics.

Some research suggests that ginger women, while being more desirable, because they appear to be more exotic, are perceived as being unattainable. "Way out of my league" type of thing.

http://elevatedtoday.com/2015/03/02...turns-out-they-might-be-genetically-superior/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead authors as brands

L

The Hard Conversation

Back