Help! Attribution for Quotes

Help! Readers Needed for Pop-Up Submissions!

Pitching at a writers' festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Jul 26, 2018
Ireland
Would anybody know whether I would need to get permission to use a quote (it will be attributed, of course) in this circumstance: I design and illustrate a “Book of Days”, a limited edition, hand bound journal/diary. I write an invocation and make several artworks for it, based around different quotes (for example, last year, the cover had the Rumi quote: “Only from the heart can you reach the sky”). I have sold these through my blog and word of mouth for a few years. It is a labour of love rather than a money-making venture (apart from the hand-illustration and painting and designing, I collate and bind each one: a glutton for punishment for sure)

It has been astonishingly successful, and this year, I have been asked by several (very nice) retail outlets could they stock them. When it was just me selling them as a small “arty” project, I wasn’t too worried about the permission etc. But if I am putting it “out there”, do I just continue on and worry if I get a complaint? They aren’t officially published, etc. Would a quote be considered to be “Intellectual property” in the same way as using someone’s painting/poem, and if attributed, do you still need permission (for the quote)?

Or would anyone know what direction to point me in to find this out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Readers Needed for Pop-Up Submissions!

Pitching at a writers' festival

Back