Are Writers Attractive?

Amusement Anyone else have this problem?

Nobel Prize for Literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
I came across an answer to a question in my Quora feed, which set me thinking. The supposition is that women find writers attractive, and, presumably vice-versa:

Why do women find writers attractive? - Quora

I don’t write to be fanciable:kiss-mark:, more because the stories are in me and insist on coming out. But, thinking of qualities shown by a potential mate, her being a writer would be desirable to me. At least I’d know something of why she was behaving in that strange way from my own experience!

Reading through Derreck Frost’s list, I realised that I’ve done several things that he claims make a writer attractive. I’ve dedicated books to female friends, based two recurring characters on close friends (with their permission) and talked about my writing in emails. This has resulted in useful feedback, so I knew I wasn’t waffling and boring them.

Margaret Atwood was dismissive of readers seeking out writers:

Wanting to meet an author because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pâté.”

Nevertheless, publishers choose the best-looking photograph of their author clients to adorn the book jacket...sometimes, these shots are twenty-years-old. Attractive people sell commercial products better than uglies.

We decided Writers Are Sexy! in an old thread, but are we more attractive than ‘normal’ people?

How irresistible do you feel?

iu

Adoring fans of Sir David Attenborough queuing to buy a signed copy of his latest book.

Charisma can't be quantified or even always qualified except as a certain kind of assured energy, but it's easily recognisable, and it counts for a lot. Some stories have it, such that people look for the piper, for them to follow the dream. Some writers have personal charisma on top. Lots absolutely blooming don't. Their gift works underground, and their charisma is manifested in their work, or nowhere.

Hmm, maybe if you're published writer it helps, but if you're not then women usually realise that your not rich and when you're not doing the day job you'll be writing, so less time for them.

Charisma can't be quantified or even always qualified except as a certain kind of assured energy, but it's easily recognisable, and it counts for a lot. Some stories have it, such that people look for the piper, for them to follow the dream. Some writers have personal charisma on top. Lots absolutely blooming don't. Their gift works underground, and their charisma is manifested in their work, or nowhere.
Agree! That goes for actors too (De Niro comes to mind).

I wonder if the attraction is like rubbing a lucky penny? If a person gets close enough, will the 'charm' of being a writer rub onto those who follow?
Is it really what the person is looking 'at', or more what they're looking 'for'?
I'd go for the latter. Everyone seems to want the magic of being a writer plonked on them, a gift from the gifted, rather than having to work too hard.
Is that my cynicism showing? Let me straighten my undergarments so I don't bare all in a public space ...

Some bloke at work: If you were my wife and did all this writing instead of working, I'd divorce you.
Me: You have no worries, Dear. I won't ever marry you.

I didn't point out that I am working at our place of work.

Attractive of not, in the end we have to have the goods. Nobody will be published based on looks.

I wonder if the attraction is like rubbing a lucky penny? If a person gets close enough, will the 'charm' of being a writer rub onto those who follow?
Is it really what the person is looking 'at', or more what they're looking 'for'?
I'd go for the latter. Everyone seems to want the magic of being a writer plonked on them, a gift from the gifted, rather than having to work too hard.
Is that my cynicism showing? Let me straighten my undergarments so I don't bare all in a public space ...

I think that's it. Anyone famous might be a lucky penny, and that's their (lucky) charm.

I don't think looks matter all that much, it's the personality that counts more. But even that only up to a point. Look at all your dead authors, some portraits of Jane Austen, rather than attract put me right off- that however, doesn't stop me liking her work in the least.

In the end it is the book and only the book that really matters. Like a painting, we look at the painting, not the painter even though the person may be of interest to us.

And here I am going to rant... some writers, published or otherwise are so full of themselves, I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Anyone else have this problem?

Nobel Prize for Literature

Back