• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Poetry April Arrival

The World Between the Words
Screenshot_20210407_204124.jpg

You arrived this day
seven years ago,
all silken hair and velvet skin.

Blackthorn blossom like snowflakes
speckled the hedgerow
Of tangled briars and bright
hawthorn leaves;
Dandelions freckled the fields.

We stopped at the corner
of Station Road,
A Magnolia stellata
dripping waxy white flowers
onto the pavement below.

The cherry blossom
outside the hospital
In exuberant bloom for your arrival.

Last edited:
View attachment 8745

You arrived this day
seven years ago,

Blackthorn blossom like snowflakes speckled the hedgerow
hawthorn leaves;

We stopped at the corner
of Station Road,
A Magnolia stellata
onto the pavement below.

The cherry blossom
outside the hospital
Emily, this is beautiful. I love poems that weave in flora. A daughter born? I have to say, I did a double take of the photograph! My first thought was 'How's Emily put up my pic of the magnolia!?' Then, I realised I took a similar one of my own Stellata that I planted in the garden last year! It's such a gorgeous variety - I loved your 'dripping waxy,' - spot on xx

Thank you, yes, a daughter born :)

I absolutely love magnolias! The last Litfest was planned for London 2020 (weep) and I'd hoped to visit the church St. Mary Le Stroud, which has spectacular M. soulangeana trees outside: massive waxy bloom in pinks and cream. I saw them a few years ago when I went to London to see a Titan exhibition and they have stuck with me ever since! I plan on going over for a visit in... Well... One of these years!!!

Thank you, yes, a daughter born :)

I absolutely love magnolias! The last Litfest was planned for London 2020 (weep) and I'd hoped to visit the church St. Mary Le Stroud, which has spectacular M. soulangeana trees outside: massive waxy bloom in pinks and cream. I saw them a few years ago when I went to London to see a Titan exhibition and they have stuck with me ever since! I plan on going over for a visit in... Well... One of these years!!!
They are stunning and so many varieties. In a nearby road, someone has stellata. I think it only grows to about ten feet. This one is almost dome-shaped. Mine is teeny-tiny and I've had to put a little guard around it . . . I caught Francesca munching on one of the little branches. :rolleyes:
I'd love to go to Van Gogh Alive The Experience (June 4-Sept 26 2021) in Kensington Gardens - it's an immersive experience - looks amazing from what I've seen.

Ooooohhhh. If I'm allowed beyond 5k of my house by then, I might think about popping over!

Ooooohhhh. If I'm allowed beyond 5k of my house by then, I might think about popping over!
I've got over-excited myself looking at the website. You can stand in a mirrored sunflower room! Asking husband ((telling really) and inviting myself to stay with youngest daughter who lives in North Wood not far from London.

View attachment 8745

You arrived this day
seven years ago,

Blackthorn blossom like snowflakes speckled the hedgerow
hawthorn leaves;

We stopped at the corner
of Station Road,
A Magnolia stellata
onto the pavement below.

The cherry blossom
outside the hospital
lovely, Emily. I agree with G- love the use of flower imagery and flower names in poetry.

Screenshot_20210407_204124.jpg

You arrived this day
seven years ago,
Beautiful @Emily! Soon she'll be of an age to appreciate how lovely the poem is, as well as the tree. x

Back