Any books you just have not finished

T

Print on Demand Pricing

I'm Now An Award-Winning Author!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may seem like blasphemy to fellow fantasists, but I could barely finish Terry Pratchett's "The Colour of Magic", and gave up on "Mort". Don't get me wrong, I appreciate his imagination, skill and longevity, but could not read him.

Neither could I read Thomas Hardy's "Far from the Maddening Crowd" - it was maddening.

As for the Bible ... Numbers ... I was never very good with MathS, anyway.

'Mort' is the only Terry Pratchett book I've read and I thought it was good, as a different view of the 'Death' character. I enjoyed 'Jane Eyre' and was pleasantly surprised by the ending to 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'. Not tried Thomas Hardy yet.

Wouldn't it be great if someday, a bunch of writers sat around talking about how much they hated our books?
Yes, but once *our* words are published, the whole world has the right to critize, it will happen.
Only if they bother to read them. If we're good enough, writers will feel compelled to read them, and then sit around discussing how we got it all wrong. You know you've arrived when... ;)
Exactly — I would love to be covered in college lit discussions. People like Lovecraft or Poe might be criticized for blatant racism and overwrought style, but you still know them by a single name. Even Steven King still needs two. I could stand to be required reading, for a discussion of what I did right and wrong.

But it's fun to read it, just to say HA! I got through it so THERE! LOL!! ;)
See, and all I did was read John's Apocalypse and a few books out of the Apocrypha, to do a fantasy retelling in the "dragons and sorcery in a ficticious Roman island-province" series I used to work on.

Currently studying the Old Testament for the first module of my Anglican Church course. Lots of assignments and deadlines and very long powerpoint sessions.
Yes, I've learned a lot.
No, I don't feel better for it.

I started a book called Wench a year ago. I kept putting it down. It has NO plot, and the author seems to have heard that there's this magical tradition called hoodoo and wanted to include it in the book, but clearly didn't do any actual research on it, so it irritated the snot out of me. (Hoodoo is American Southern Christian folk magic.)

I never did finish it and don't particularly want to.

I'm currently toiling through Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn and finding it incredibly boring. I'm not sure I'm going to bother finishing it.

I've read the Bible a couple of times. Kinda had to, I was raised fundamentalist. I quote the King James version at all socially awkward moments. Most people don't know I'm quoting it and just assume I'm balmy. My husband says he can only tell when I'm quoting it because of the language--if I sound like Brother Maynard from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I've read the Bible a couple of times. Kinda had to, I was raised fundamentalist. I quote the King James version at all socially awkward moments. Most people don't know I'm quoting it and just assume I'm balmy. My husband says he can only tell when I'm quoting it because of the language--if I sound like Brother Maynard from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The Book of Armaments!!! :D :D :D LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is AWFUL since I write dragon fiction, but I've NEVER been able to finish an Anne McCaffrey book. I've tried twice! People love her work--she's imaginative and an excellent writer. But for some reason she bores me to tears!

@Jimithyh , so sad that you didn't like Far From the Madding Crowd! But I'm biased as a Hardy fan ;) . Still, I'm much more partial to Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

Thomas Hardy gets bleaker and bleaker at every stage, I think Far from the madding crowd is excelent and Tess of D'Urbaviles, but then you get onto Jude the Obscure and it all gets quite depressing.
Indeed. I have yet to read Jude the Obscure, but I'm told Hardy was a very dark fellow overall, at least with words. Far From the Madding Crowd is supposed to be his happiest piece!

I recently abandoned the latest Thomas Pynchon, Bleeding Edge after trying several times. Before that, it was Stephen King's Dark Tower, three books in, no less He got so repetitious and self-aggrandizing (using characters from other books of his out of series, etc. ) I just couldn't take the author's smirk. I was also unable to complete Rushdie's Satanic Verses. I got it, but it was just too over the top for my tastes. I may return to it at some time. I completed Annie Proulx' last book but wished I hadn't, it was that bad -- AP being one of my favorite writers, too... should I go on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Print on Demand Pricing

I'm Now An Award-Winning Author!! :)

Back