O

On the wordiness of being wordy with words

Another ship back to port...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
Delighted to find you all again, and the Litopia- phoenix alive and well.

I spy a few familiar and welcome faces.

This summer I finished my first novel 'The Farthest Reach.' Litopia helped me with this back in late 2011/early 2012. Hard to believe it was so long ago. I was wrestling the fifth draft at that point, and had torn down well over 250,000 words...I'll know an easier way next time....

I had invaluable feedback from members of the Litopia community and from Peter. It was a real shot in the arm; it's a long road as an unknown, isn't it, with no guarantees at the end of it.
'The Farthest Reach' has gone out on its travels, seeking an agent. A whole new process in train...so excitin'.

Doubtless, if I get lucky, there will be more tearing down and revisions to come; so be it. I've got two more novels in development, to keep me tearing my hair out for ages to come.

I look forward to the fun; learning, sharing, and hopefully being able to contribute.

Thank you, Tara :) I duplicated this post, used Edit tried to cancel the spare one...failed. Sorry about the double trouble, folks.

New to the colony, glad to hear it's helped you out in some small way-- gives a bit of hope.
IMHO if you're cutting down 250,000 words, you've made your choice, there is no way to go but down this road. Still, leave your hair alone!

Thank you, kindly, Tara, tabby3 ,Marc Joan, Octopus Messiah (octopi are awesome animals) I will try not to tear me hair too much working on the new one, but... perhaps I should take up whisky instead?SueRoe, I like that little frog with its umbrella in the rain. Frogs are clever. Can there be any such thing as a stupid one? Not for long, or it gets 'et, unless of course, it's a poisonous frog.

Thank you for so kindly asking re: novel, Marc. 'The Farthest Reach,' 85k, is a contemporary ghost story. It's not horror, more of a character driven mystery, told by the narrator, Sunny, a young police officer. His brother is not at rest. Sunny is seeking to release him for the journey with the Ferryman. But how?

Influences, Greek and British legends, Alan Garner's 'Red Shift', Gordon Honeycombe's 'Dragon Under The Hill; Norah Loft's 'The Haunting of Gad's Hall', Michelle Paver's 'Dark Matter.' It was this last one that first led me to Peter Cox and Litopia.

I got rejection number 3 yesterday. 'Not quite right for our list.' Onward! I look forward to reading about your novels out on the rounds and your WIP's :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

On the wordiness of being wordy with words

Another ship back to port...

Back