Anne Rice hits out at 'internet lynch mobs'

The danger of using QI as a source

Michael Jackson's Ghost Caught Live on Larry King Show!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Anne Rice makes some good points, in this article about the unfairness of partisan and just plain nasty trolls who post comments and give one star ratings on GoodReads and Amazon:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...rnet-lynch-mobs-attacking-controversial-books

One of the biggest problems with the internet is the way that its anonymity becomes a coward's charter for people to say things that they wouldn't have the nerve to express face-to-face.

I've developed a hide as thick as a rhinoceros, when it comes to other people criticising me. I'd try to take any well-worded and considered criticism as useful comment. All the same, I can see how getting a bunch of unfair reviews for my books would have impact on their sales.

Just about my only experience of flaming came a few years ago, when I posted what I thought was an innocuous question on a dating agency site. I'd intended to start a general discussion among lonely hearts, about dating someone who was fixated on one of their parents - either in an admiring or hateful way. I'd just come out of a promising relationship, which ended as the woman was obsessed with how all men were basically evil and manipulative - based on how her father had betrayed her mother. This made her unable to commit.

I was shocked by the response that my question created. I received vindictive messages of accusation and even threats, with complete strangers saying that they knew me well and that I wasn't to be trusted. Then they started to squabble amongst themselves, hurling insults at one another. I stopped looking at the forum. For all I know, the war is continuing there, so far removed from what I originally asked that it makes me doubt the sanity of people.

Have any of the Colonists ever received unfair reviews or comments?

I'd just come out of a promising relationship, which ended as the woman was obsessed with how all men were basically evil and manipulative - based on how her father had betrayed her mother. This made her unable to commit.

You could have done nowt there, with that lady, Paul. Someone who models the entire world on their own personal experience. Idee fixe.

I have not personally been attacked from comments or reviews. But I think the internet is a double edged sword. On one hand, it provides us with a wonderful way to communicate, to give of opinion of something to people who might otherwise not hear it. However, I think it also provides us with a faceless, nearly-unaccountable medium through which people feel free to personally attack others because what can they do about it? It's incredibly unfortunate that people are mobbing authors. While I agree that opinions should be heard, this allows people to get into that mob mentality without the potential for real violence, which is dangerous.

Whether or not I agree with what that lady in the article wrote, why should it be taken down? Because some people disagree with it? IT'S FICTION. I disagree with a lot of things that are put out in the world. But, unless they are hurting people in the process, I go look somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The danger of using QI as a source

Michael Jackson's Ghost Caught Live on Larry King Show!!

Back