And Then The Murders Began....

Things I wish I'd known before starting to write.

Your Self-Editing Checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Marc Laidlaw, a writer of science fiction and horror, has found a way of making the crucial opening of your novel more exciting!

Simply add the words, 'And then the murders began.'

People Are Adding “And Then The Murders Began” To Famous Book Openings, And It’s Impossible Not To Laugh

I could apply it to my four Cornish Detective novels, and my personal favourite from classical literature is to amend the opening of Charles Dickens' A Tale Of Two Cities.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair. And then the murders began."

Which novel would you alter?

The Portrait of a Lady, Henry James, 1880.

Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea. And then the murders began.

Once upon a time there was a little chick called Chicken Licken who lived on a farmyard in the countryside. One day, Chicken Licken went to the woods. He stopped by an oak tree. Suddenly a tiny acorn dropped from the tree – wheeeeeeeeee! And hit Chicken Licken on the head – BONK! Unfortunately, Chicken Licken didn’t see the acorn. He looked up the clear blue sky. “Oh, no!” he said “The sky is falling, I must tell the king.”
And then the murders began.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. And then the murders began.
Very much in this vein, I recently came across a wonderful little poem by John Fenniman (I hadn't heard of him before). I think it encapsulates this theme beautifully:

A Poem for Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Things I wish I'd known before starting to write.

Your Self-Editing Checklist

Back