Pets & the Coronavirus Crisis

Smoking in Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Staff member
Guardian
Mar 1, 2020
We were talking yesterday in the Huddle about Amazon's stranglehold on the book industry particularly in the current situation.

Well something happened when I was interacting with them on Friday which I found extremely annoying.

I buy a lot of books, eBooks and other bit and bobs from them so have an account etc. Anyway, when reading some Seamus Heaney poetry I searched on SH as an author to see what books they were selling. I spotted what I thought was something I was interested in and clicked to check out the book but mis-moused (hey new word) my click and inadvertently hit the "buy now" option.

Several things happened within the first ten seconds. The card app on my phone pinged telling me I had just spent £6.02, another ping confirming the order from Amazon by email and my screen display on the laptop thanked me for my order - so I had bought the book - all too easily for my liking.

I had never made that mistake before in a long time using Amazon and I find their convenience quite good, but it wasn't a big problem as the mis-buy (hey another new word) was my bad - and I know that I can turn off buy with one click option but as I say I quite like the convenience of this -so I think I'll return the book and go to my orders history. There was the book and a simple two-click process (the intended clicks this time ;)) and my screen showed me "you have successfully returned the book".

I waited for my phone app to ping again to show the refund... but no. Seems they're not so quick off the mark refunding. Obviously they have a one way traffic system running on their IT.

Reason I'm posting is that 48 hours after cancelling I have had an email today saying that they are processing the refund and the money will show up against my payment method within 10 working days!!!!!!!! Taking the absolute mickey here.

If the purchase process is almost instantaneous then why not the refund process? Again I goofed but their refund process stinks.

Grrrrrr!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Infuriating. That has also happened to me recently.

And I LOVE Seamus Heaney’s writing: I remember reading his poems when I was eight or nine and they profoundly touched me; when I feel lost I read his work :)

@Rainbird He's amazing. I was a latecomer but think his work is stunning.

I know this is one of his most well known poems but it is simply wonderful.

A great introduction to the man if Litopians haven't checked him out.

When all the others were away at Mass by Seamus Heaney

Mass.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pets & the Coronavirus Crisis

Smoking in Fiction

Back