Question: Amazon Ads? Anyone finding them successful?

An Update from AgentPete

Important! Your Opinion Is Needed To Help Shape The Future Of The Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimRees

Aspiring to my potential.
Jul 27, 2019
Wales, UK
I've was doing Amazon Ads for a couple of years and invested a lot (meaning lost a lot :) from automatic targeting - loads (millions) of impressions, loads of clicks, very few sales. I've just gone back to Amazon Ads using manual targeting. Very few impressions that have resulted in no clicks so far. I've been confident in the blurb, but have now become a full member so I can join in the huddles and get you guys to critique the blurb, but thought I'd ask if anyone has had success with Amazon Ads?

I've was doing Amazon Ads for a couple of years and invested a lot (meaning lost a lot :) from automatic targeting - loads (millions) of impressions, loads of clicks, very few sales. I've just gone back to Amazon Ads using manual targeting. Very few impressions that have resulted in no clicks so far. I've been confident in the blurb, but have now become a full member so I can join in the huddles and get you guys to critique the blurb, but thought I'd ask if anyone has had success with Amazon Ads?
I see a problem with the blurb - it's a selling point, and needs something to compel the browser to click the buy button. This blurb (for Amazon product ASIN B08685V4LL) doesn't give me any idea of what the story's going to be about, or even the genre. And it sounds a bit like a 'seed sown' in terms of reproduction (which I'm sure isn't what's meant).
Your blurb:
Throughout history men and women have bravely stood up and sown the seed that creates the change they wish to see. This is a story about William and he sows a seed.
In William's case he plants a seed in the form of a bullet in a trophy hunter's head.
The murder sets off a national debate with regard animal rights.
--

This is what I got from an AI blurb-maker using the reader review on 'zon:

This gripping novel from Tim Rees dives into a controversial subject, animal rights, and takes readers on a thrilling adventure. William, a murderer, and fifteen-year-old Ashley form a deeply emotional relationship that will leave readers captivated. The strong female police detective in pursuit of William will have readers hoping she succeeds until the very last page. With Tim's powerful writing style, readers will be taken on an emotional journey and will have their views on animal rights challenged. If you enjoyed John Grisham's The Rainmaker, you'll love Trophy Hunting. Don't miss out - buy now before the price changes!

Getting the browser to go beyond the title, cover (neither of which indicate anything about genre), and blurb is important - they are all the lead-ins and work best when they show genre, style, and purpose.

I see a problem with the blurb - it's a selling point, and needs something to compel the browser to click the buy button. This blurb (for Amazon product ASIN B08685V4LL) doesn't give me any idea of what the story's going to be about, or even the genre. And it sounds a bit like a 'seed sown' in terms of reproduction (which I'm sure isn't what's meant).
Your blurb:
Throughout history men and women have bravely stood up and sown the seed that creates the change they wish to see. This is a story about William and he sows a seed.
In William's case he plants a seed in the form of a bullet in a trophy hunter's head.
The murder sets off a national debate with regard animal rights.
--

This is what I got from an AI blurb-maker using the reader review on 'zon:

This gripping novel from Tim Rees dives into a controversial subject, animal rights, and takes readers on a thrilling adventure. William, a murderer, and fifteen-year-old Ashley form a deeply emotional relationship that will leave readers captivated. The strong female police detective in pursuit of William will have readers hoping she succeeds until the very last page. With Tim's powerful writing style, readers will be taken on an emotional journey and will have their views on animal rights challenged. If you enjoyed John Grisham's The Rainmaker, you'll love Trophy Hunting. Don't miss out - buy now before the price changes!

Getting the browser to go beyond the title, cover (neither of which indicate anything about genre), and blurb is important - they are all the lead-ins and work best when they show genre, style, and purpose.
My sincere thanks, CageSage. interesting. blurb from your AI blurb-maker. As a Brit, I'm not great at blowing my own trumpet!! :)

If the ads gave you loads of clicks it would seem they worked - unless they made people who weren't interested in your book click on it. You would have to analyze which keywords gave you clicks and see if they were somehow misleading.

To be ruthlessly honest, I would never take the time to read the blurb after seeing the cover. The font is more suited for ... I don't know :) The different coloured words say "amateur" - sorry - and the lion head says nothing at all. A bullet in the head of a trophy hunter would appeal to me, but I would never get so far.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Just for clarity, when I was getting loads of clicks, I was advertising the novel Delphian. Because A Seed Once Sown will appeal to a very particular reader I'm advertising using manually targeted keywords around animal rights, novels, books, vigilante etc... At the moment few impressions, no clicks. But I'll give it a month.

Possibly after your comments, I'll redesign the cover and write a new blurb. Same goes for The Drama Merchant. Thanks, guys.

By the way, how does the AI bot know the story?
There's a review under the blurb, and I used that as the text input and then tidied it a bit.
Personally, I'd do it differently (yeah, don't like to blow my own horn much, either), but hey, if it gets sales, I'd use whatever worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

An Update from AgentPete

Important! Your Opinion Is Needed To Help Shape The Future Of The Colony

Back