Twitter for writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
"GPT-2 was created for a simple purpose: it can be fed a piece of text, and is able to predict the words that will come next. By doing so, it is able to create long strings of writing that are largely indistinguishable from those written by a human being."

You can try a web version here:

I've just done it and... looks pretty rubbishy to me! But YMMD...

It can come up with stories, but the use of language, prose, engagement, characterisation, plot etc is terrible.

I entered "Her name was Janice. She loved to party." And it gave me this:

"Her name was Janice. She loved to party. She'd had boyfriends, and she'd had sex. She'd dated the guy who shot her boyfriend.

"They shot me over something, but I still don't know what," Janice said. "I'm trying to remember. I was just a little kid."

Janice was 14 years old and had spent months at her boyfriend's house. She'd gone with him on a trip to the lake where he shot her. She'd told her mother that she'd been hit with a bullet. Her mother wanted to kill her boyfriend. She'd wanted to know how it was possible for Janice to be shot. Her mother had told her that she didn't care, and that she didn't have the right to love him anyway.

So the mother got her a gun, and the mother killed Janice. Janice remembers the look of shock on her mother's face.

"She just went, and that's"

I don't think the robots will be taking our jobs just yet...

It can come up with stories, but the use of language, prose, engagement, characterisation, plot etc is terrible.

I entered "Her name was Janice. She loved to party." And it gave me this:

"Her name was Janice. She loved to party. She'd had boyfriends, and she'd had sex. She'd dated the guy who shot her boyfriend.

"They shot me over something, but I still don't know what," Janice said. "I'm trying to remember. I was just a little kid."

Janice was 14 years old and had spent months at her boyfriend's house. She'd gone with him on a trip to the lake where he shot her. She'd told her mother that she'd been hit with a bullet. Her mother wanted to kill her boyfriend. She'd wanted to know how it was possible for Janice to be shot. Her mother had told her that she didn't care, and that she didn't have the right to love him anyway.

So the mother got her a gun, and the mother killed Janice. Janice remembers the look of shock on her mother's face.

"She just went, and that's"

I don't think the robots will be taking our jobs just yet...
Coming soon from Lulu.

There was nothing obviously dislikeable about Dominic. He was charming and a great guy. He had been dating Sarah for a year and seemed to be a good fit for her and her family. She had gotten involved with Dominic because he had been a great influence in her life and he had the same values. But she never felt the need to talk about that in front of Dominic. She just enjoyed being with Dominic and was glad he was in her life. She had to be careful because he could be a bit unpredictable, but he was still her boyfriend. It was his life and it was good.
But when they started having sex, it was like watching a train wreck.

Okaaaaay....

Oh goodness, I just did another one and got a rape joke :(

I mean, in many ways that's an accurate reflection of the type of things that lots of people write :(

This was GPT-2's response to my perfectly reasonable statement, 'Samantha enjoys motorcars':

Samantha enjoys motor cars, motorcycles, and scooters, so she will happily ride one around the block. However, she is a total car lover and has been known to drive a Cadillac or Porsche to school each day.

Samantha loves to cook and makes her own meals from scratch, so she is able to prepare healthy meals and save money. She has also found it fun to cook for her mom and dad. She has been seen eating out with her family more than she has ever eaten in her life! Samantha is also very involved with her school's club. Samantha likes her friends, who are also her fellow students, but sometimes has a hard time making friends at her school due to her shy personality.

Samantha has a hard time in the school's computer lab because she has no interestShare

Prompt:
Generated completion:
Talk To Transformer.com

I just keyed in the first few lines of my novel in the hope it gives me a fully polished, no more work left to do, now go and put your feet up while it sells itself novel. It gave me nonsense, well, different nonsense from mine.

I only feel alive when I lose. Correction. I only feel alive when I’m in deep shit. A misguided fool? Me, Nick Foley? Maybe. The self-destruct button is never far. ‪The only way to find out is to go all in.‬

I know, it's all a bit much. And it's just a theory. But I feel that, even if it's wrong, it might just be the only truth we've got right now.

‹Okay, let's talk about that.›

‹You said you're a philosopher.›

I shrugged. I wasn't sure how I felt about that. The word "philosopher" was a bit much. "I think, I'm still figuring it out. That's all."

Just had to have another go, so I keyed in To be or not to be and it gave me some waffle that sounded like it was written by some sort of dictator extremist deity. He was giving me a lecture about complying with His will. I'm just glad it doesn't have my address.

Then I keyed in 'In a galaxy far far away.' and it wrote something about taxes and accounts.

That's it. I'm going to bed.

Well …..
I have lost everything, nothing is left, nothing !" The man in the blue coat, still holding the weapon, shouted. "I have lost everything, nothing is left, nothing !" It's hard to believe that it was just four months ago that I saw a new Star Wars movie. The Force Awakens came out on Christmas day, 2015, and after seeing the trailer, I went home and sat on my bed, looking at the lights, the lights, the lights. After seeing Rey, I knew I needed to buy a Star Wars costume.

I bought my first Star Wars costume in June 2016, and I loved it. It was so pretty, it was so cool, but it was also a bit heavy, so I decided that I would start to buy lighter costumes. I purchased the new Rey costume for just $24 on Amazon

Pure genius

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. It's just hard to make sense of it all."

Lorri Bennett, who worked as a legal assistant for the House Speaker, Mike Turzai, for years, said she knew the statehouse could not afford to pay more than $15,000 a year for the lawyer to handle the appeal.

"You're talking about a guy that's been there and done that, you know? He's not going to be a hero," Bennett said. "I have no idea if he's actually going to do it, but it's hard to believe that he hasn't been doing it for many years, if he hasn't already."

The court will hear arguments Tuesday on whether the case should go forward, whether the money is necessary, and whether the lawmakers who want toShare

Prompt:
Generated completion:
Talk To Transformer.com

This is creepy, @Geoff. The text you had. Moments earlier, I had just keyed in the Star Wars intro, then you had a Star Wars text. It's learning.

And this following is creepy too. I keyed in: I am in fact Litbot...

I am in fact Litbot. My parents live in a house on the hill. They have been here for years and I love them very much."

Litbot (left) is one of the two young men behind the initiative. They say they want to "create a community where everyone can meet others like themselves who share their love of books and literature".

Litbot says there is "an unspoken taboo about being a book lover." They want to change that.

The two men, both in their 20s, have been writing for a year. They will be launching the website in September and hope to launch an app to keep in touch. They will also be travelling around England and Wales to visit bookshops, libraries and libraries.

It knows about Litopia.... :ghost:

Well, I shan't be consulting it for help with my Recipe Book!! Like, what kind of feckin' cake is it making? (Cake mix (whaaaaaat?! devils work :eek: ) + eggs + more eggs stirred for ten minutes (?) + more flour + more flour to make it fluffier + don't add any more flour)

Humph. No siree.

I couldn't believe how much I wanted that cake. It was dense and fudgy, with a wonderful texture and flavor. It was just perfect for me. I couldn't wait to share it with my family. I made a couple of small changes to the recipe to better accommodate my needs: I used half and half and used an electric mixer rather than a hand mixer.

The first step of the process is to mix together the cake mix, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and baking powder.

Then you put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to get it hard and then stir it a little to make sure you get everything mixed up.

It's time to add the egg whites, buttermilk, and water.

I let the batter sit for about 10 minutes while I stirred the eggs. After the 10 minutes are up, you can start adding the flour. The more flour you add, the fluffier it will get. I didn't have to add any more flour

@AgentPete, what's the legal position here? If someone used GPT-2 to 'write' a book, by feeding it prompts, could they claim it as their own work...or would they have to say GPT-2 was the co-author?

I note that feeding it a filthy sexual phrase turns GPT-2 into a blues singer spouting out repetitive choruses! :confused:

I did a little experiment. I used my sentence - There was nothing obviously dislikeable about Dominic - and replaced "Dominic" with male and female names.

Of the 5 female names I tried, 3 were dead/murdered!

All the 5 men remained alive...

Oh goodness, I just did another one and got a rape joke :(

I mean, in many ways that's an accurate reflection of the type of things that lots of people write :(
I think that's actually what it's doing. Pattern matching your sample to larger chunks it's already got stored. I'm not whelmed.

The robots were programmed to kill us from the beginning. It was just a matter of when," said one survivor, a senior officer who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation by Iranian commanders. "We had to have a way to stop them."

As the war dragged on, and Iranian troops came closer to reaching the United States, the soldiers in the area realized that a robot would be needed to kill them.

But how do you kill a robot when a robot is programmed to kill?

One solution was to create a robot who could detect and neutralize the enemy, a system that could easily be adapted to a hostile environment like Iraq.

"We designed the robot to be as autonomous as possible and to make it so that it doesn't need a human being to do it," said Dr. Daniel R. Deutch, a senior researcher at the University of California, Berkeley.

I
There was nothing obviously dislikeable about Dominic. He was charming and a great guy. He had been dating Sarah for a year and seemed to be a good fit for her and her family. She had gotten involved with Dominic because he had been a great influence in her life and he had the same values. But she never felt the need to talk about that in front of Dominic. She just enjoyed being with Dominic and was glad he was in her life. She had to be careful because he could be a bit unpredictable, but he was still her boyfriend. It was his life and it was good.
But when they started having sex, it was like watching a train wreck.

Okaaaaay....

I'd turn the page...

It's too late, it's achieved sentience.

My camel's socks are orange. Plant me the egg, he told the grandfather clock. "I'm gonna get a bunch of bananas," he said, "and put them all on my back. And then, as soon as I'm ready to give birth, I'm gonna take off my shoes and go to the bathroom. "And then I'm gonna give birth to a little kid, you know, like this. And he's gonna eat bananas like it's nothing, you know? "And then I'm gonna say: 'Oh, yeah! I've got a new child!' And that baby's gonna take the banana from my back, put it on the baby's back, you know, 'Take it, take it!' And then, you know, the baby's gonna go out, eat the banana, and then come back and take a bite of it. "And then he's gonna say: 'Here, this is for you. Take it, take it!' Then he's gonna give me a big hug, and then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Promotion site for authors

Twitter for writers

Back