Causes of deaths...in Literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
See here Ask June: In the Doghouse • Cleaver Magazine for answers to the below:

Dear June,

To be honest, I feel stuck. I realized that I’ve been writing, studying, and publishing fiction for a decade, but I can’t seem to take the next step.

My short stories show up in the pretty-good literary magazines. I’ve had some near misses but haven’t cracked into the first tier yet. Even though I’ve got several completed manuscripts, I can’t seem to find an agent and I despair of ever seeing my name on a published novel. It’s discouraging, and I wonder if I’m doing something wrong?

I am not in general an angsty person, except when it comes to my writing. Should I just throw in the towel and self publish? Am I actually really untalented, but nobody will tell me?

Is there anything I can do to break this streak? Please advise.

Sincerely,

—Down in the Doldrums

See here Ask June: In the Doghouse • Cleaver Magazine for answers to the below:
—Down in the Doldrums
I'd say you got one of the best replies from an AA that I have read; sensible, understanding and essentially practical.
How often do writers get into a similar intellectual mess? Very often. How do writers get out of the mess? By writing. Giving up? Not an option. Self-publish - if you're a fiend for really hard, irritating, picky work. Self-publishing isn't the same as the old "vanity" publishing.

An interesting article. I figure self publishing is better than no publishing, even if it only generates a half dozen sales. One of those just might reach the right person. So sometime this year I'll put out another one ;)

Yes, interesting indeed. I've read so much about the angst writers have, spending years finding an agent - if ever - and then the onward struggle. Then, when the
agent finally finds a publisher, the author finds that he/she has to do all the marketing that he/she could have started years before - if they'd taken a different path. For me, life is too short for all that capering around but I know it works for some.

I probably in the last month have gone through a 'what's the point' spell. Up until mid April when I was working on my manuscript, I was so enthusiastic. But now, I have had moments of despair, feelings of self loathing, everything related to my ability to 'write'. But then... last Friday, I met a young girl, probably about 20 in a bar (I was with my wife). She was sitting alone and writing on an iPad. 'what are you writing?' I asked. She told me the story and how she was desperate to get her story down, and I had to tell her not to give up, keep going, and probably I was speaking to my own self also.

I probably in the last month have gone through a 'what's the point' spell. Up until mid April when I was working on my manuscript, I was so enthusiastic. But now, I have had moments of despair, feelings of self loathing, everything related to my ability to 'write'. .
I suspect we all know what you're talking about. I try to deal with it by not taking things, including myself, too seriously. In cosmic terms, everything on the human scale is irrelevant. Writing is just a temporary crust on the scabby shell of a temporary existence. Enjoy it for its own sake; if anybody else enjoys it too, that's a bonus. (c) Marc Joan's Cod Philosophy (Vol. 1 of 673).

In my bitter moments, I liken writing to masturbation--it's nice, but doesn't really accomplish anything. ;)

I was at a dinner party the other night (playing the good faculty wife)--first time I've agreed to go out since I quit the 'day job'--and because one of the families there had a son who was in the middle of reading one of my books, I couldn't bypass all the questions about what I 'do'. I had to tell people I was a writer. I hate to say it, but it felt awful. Not just because I'd really rather be still pursuing the career I had for the past 25 years, but also because I feel like a really unsuccessful writer...

In my bitter moments, I liken writing to masturbation--it's nice, but doesn't really accomplish anything. ;)

I was at a dinner party the other night (playing the good faculty wife)--first time I've agreed to go out since I quit the 'day job'--and because one of the families there had a son who was in the middle of reading one of my books, I couldn't bypass all the questions about what I 'do'. I had to tell people I was a writer. I hate to say it, but it felt awful. Not just because I'd really rather be still pursuing the career I had for the past 25 years, but also because I feel like a really unsuccessful writer...

I just don't tell anybody. Only my wife knows, and she is sworn to secrecy. Because, frankly, most people seem to look on writing as a cop-out from a proper job; and even if you have a proper job, it still seems to be seen as self-indulgent (because getting up at 4:30 am to go through rejection emails is so self-indulgent). Unless you have a best-seller or a book made into a film, people tend to snigger, no matter how hard you've worked at your other career, no matter what your other accomplishments. So for my own sanity, I keep it hush-hush. And I know exactly what it would have been like for you at the faculty party, and you have my very great sympathy.

People tend to snigger at those who are doing what they're afraid to attempt—a bit like crabs in a bucket dragging an escapee back to their gang. Being a writer means developing a thick hide and ignoring the naysayers while seeking the approval and acceptance of influential publishing industry executives who we rather despise for being so tasteless!

I sometimes wonder if the armour I've clad myself with is so thick that I wouldn't believe a literary agent who liked my query. You actually like my submission and want to see more chapters—whatever's the matter with you?!

There's a danger of becoming a masochist in persevering as a writer, or perhaps it's an essential trait....

Become-a-Writer-They-Said-It-Will-Be-Fun-They-Said.jpg

No Robinne, you are definitely not alone. I'm trying to be a writer but even if I manage to get an agent and sell my manuscript, I will not tell anyone other than the two people who already know. For many people writing seems a hobby, something you do to kill time. A fun job, so not real work. Unless as Marc said you are wildly successful.

The dream is putting it on the census, but somehow 'teaching assistant' is a job taken slightly more seriously than 'struggling writer.'

Being a teaching assistant is so much easier. I don't even like writing half the time, it's just a sort of hideous necessity, like drinking. Except wine. And tea. I like drinking them.

I wish I was the man on the last census whose job was 'carving stone lions.' Put his job description as 'taking a block of stone and carving away all the bits that aren't lion.'

Now that's a calling.

I actually enjoy telling people I'm an author. It gives me motivation to keep going--others hold me accountable. I am determined (read: far too stubborn) to make this writing thing work, so I need all of the strength I can get.

The dream is putting it on the census, but somehow 'teaching assistant' is a job taken slightly more seriously than 'struggling writer.'

Being a teaching assistant is so much easier. I don't even like writing half the time, it's just a sort of hideous necessity, like drinking. Except wine. And tea. I like drinking them.

I wish I was the man on the last census whose job was 'carving stone lions.' Put his job description as 'taking a block of stone and carving away all the bits that aren't lion.'

Now that's a calling.

So, it was his mane profession?

s-l300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Get Your Book Published

Causes of deaths...in Literature.

Back