Access to the Houses

In Praise of Naples

"Protecting your IP on the high seas of the internet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel

I'm interested in sharing some of my work and getting some feedback... How do I get access to the houses? Is it a point based system so I need more votes first? or maybe time based? or would you just need an invitation?

I've been under the assumption access is based upon the number of messages you send and likes you receive. I may be wrong, but the more involved you are on here, the quicker the houses shall appear.

I don't think people popping in and getting feedback and not coming back is such a crime. I tend to learn as much from doing a critique as from having my work looked at it. Let them do that if they want.

I think we need to get writers in the houses (not much going on there at the moment!) All very well making members talk about cats and dessert to see if they have the patience required but what has that got to with writing, pray?

Let him in. Let THEM in. You can always chuck any of us out again.

No-one's saying it's a crime, and it's true, giving feedback is a way of honing skills. It's just the way it happened, and Peter said he wasn't keen on Litopia being used in quite that way. All that sort of stuff is set out at the top of the forum, @Daniel. The Houses ARE quiet, which is a pity, but what you see is not the whole picture. Work goes up, gets taken down again, because we've been warned not to leave work up on display indefinitely. Cats and desserts...is people having a joke at their coffee time watering hole, and once they know you just a little, @Daniel, you might *cough* find that people do a bit of reciprocal beta reading via the conversation buttons :).

Last edited:
As KT says, in part at least its about getting to know people. Cats and desserts are part of life, part of writing, and letting off steam. If you can't do that, how can you truly write? If the focus was 100% on your novel and naught else, you'd get to be a damn boring person. You'd also go insane literally. I guess it also partly depends on what you expect to get out of this site. It's not "just" for getting critiques, it's about the "Whole Writer", at least that's how I see it.
Yes the houses are quiet, but not as quiet as you think, if you are only looking at what's showing. There has been a lot more in there, and by the way, it's holidays, well somewhere! I had off Christmas day and New Year day, but I am working on two novels, and reading someone else's novel (which is quite interesting I might add).
As has also at some stage been said, you tend to get out of this site, what you put into it. We're all flexible in one way or another, and probably all got home lives as well. In saying all that, don't forget to write!! ;)

And there are sites out there that are all about the critiques--agent query connect, query shark, etc. I think many of us frequent more than just Litopia. I, for one, appreciate that Litopia's not just critiques, but that I feel like I can ask for beta readers, and offer to critique others' work, too. And I feel comfortable doing that because I feel like I know you all--you're not just some random person, but someone with whom I've had non-writing related conversations. I've met your cat, I know you keep horses, I know you like cake, coffee, and camels...

Yet the question remains; how many messages and likes is enough to get access to the Houses? It's raining outside.
It's a mystery - I think the point is that some people will try to comment only just enough to qualify for the houses and then leave the community, only taking in critiques. :)

Fact is we'll never know the exact answer, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Meanwhile did you know there is an Avalon rock in the desert of Australia and kangaroo meat tastes quite nice ;)

According to my mother, who's an Aussie, kangaroos are a little 'al dente'. She recommends a nice fresh Joey. Preferably without pellets (she says - use a car).

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Praise of Naples

"Protecting your IP on the high seas of the internet"

Back