A quick question

Fanfare! New Guardian Masterclass

Bestseller lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

K.J. Simmill

Hi all, I hope you are well.

I just want to draw on your opinions and expertise is you don't mind.

I am currently submitting my work to agents in hope to find representation, I am getting a little confused, some want a synopsis summarising the story outline, some want a 'dust jacket' synopsis, so I have multiple types prepared, but when I come across the 'submit first three chapters and synopsis' guideline I always wonder which one is expected.

I do of course check the site before submitting, and I don't believe in the 'carpet bomb' approach, I try to ensure the agents I submit to may be interested in my work.

I was just wondering what, in your experience is requested synopsis wise when no specific request for type is made, I am tempted to submit my 'dust jacket' one.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time. :)

AgentPete is the expert. I have a one- page and 3 -page synopsis. The targets of my last two send-outs made it clear that what was wanted was a one-page synopsis. In both cases they stressed that a one-page synopsis was not a dust jacket blurb.

In the absence of a clear instruction, and assuming your 'dust jacket 'synopsis is not a blurb, but contains the entire plot and narrative arc, no teasers, you'd be fine, I'm guessing. Best of luck...excitin', isn't it?

Good question. I hate researching an agent and finding nothing written anywhere about what they prefer. :eek: In this case I guess go for your strongest pitch. I have been roughly following this advice : "How long should a synopsis be? Unless the agent specifies otherwise or you have found better synopsis-writing advice elsewhere (the odds of that are pretty good, frankly), I'd shoot for two to three pages, double-spaced. If it's longer or shorter than that I don't think anyone is going to be angry, but that should be enough to do what you need to do." (Full blog post: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/08/how-to-write-synopsis.html).

I think it's really easy to get torn up over the synopsis because we do read so many different suggestions on how to approach it. But, if they haven't specified what they want from you, and what you're sending is professional (which I'm certain it is) I can't see how you could get it wrong. From what I remember, I sent my one page double-spaced synopsis to most of those that didn't give guidelines, and only because it was what those who did give guidelines asked for. But, admittedly, my agent approaching system works mostly like this: :):Do_O:confused:

I like you, have several versions of my synopsis, some detail the end, some don't. I also have one which includes the series progression, I forget who asked for that... The Blair Partnership if I'm not mistaken.

Research is the key, and when nothing turns up, your very best try and blind luck I think ;)

Hitting a work speedbunp at the moment, so will have to delay a full answer for a few days. By which time folk here will have expertly answered your question, such is the wonderful expertise in the Colony.
But I do hate that synopsis conundrum. They are deathly things to write, and of very limited value to a good agent or editor.

OK, rant mode off.

More, I hope, later.

Thank you for replying :) the advice given is fantastic, I appreciate you taking the time.
I do tend to send the one I think is the best which is a two page double line spaced one which briefly outlines the entire plot and ending.
Again thank you, I feel lucky to have joined such a helpful community. I hope one day I can repay your kindness.

Thanks Katie-Ellen I always imagined it to be the other way around, as in they would read the synopsis and if it peaked their interest then the sample chapters. I am alway very attentive to agent's requirements, I don't want to needlessly waste their time, with everything they do they have so little of it. That's why I worry about sending the wrong type of synopsis when no specifics are mentioned :)

Sorry chaps, I’ve not only been snowed under (December started in mid-November this year) I’ve also been hors de combat due to a ghastly throat/chest infection. None too pleased with that, since starting yoga two years ago I’ve been far healthier, and I guess I just assumed it would continue like that... so when the work pressure mounted, the yoga declined, et voila, je suis malade. Silly me.

OK, on to the thorny issue of synopses...

A true synopsis is not a selling document. It is, rather, a technical doc. A blueprint. It’s something I use when working on a plot with an author - but by its nature, it is a very poor sale tool... in fact, it can easily work against you, because most plots look quite banal when distilled down to their cold white bones.

I know that agents commonly request a synopsis. So what should you do?

Generally, my view is not to comply precisely, unless there are clear reasons to do so. I would tend to produce a hybrid of jacket copy (short, non-specific, teasing) and the traditional synopsis (detailed, flat, longer). For most purposes, that will do the trick quite well.

Note that if you veer too far towards hyperbole, you will be found out. Knowing just the right combination of linear detail and subtle selling is crucial. Understate rather than over.

Now, I just said unless there are clear reasons to do so. So what might these be?

To be frank, I can’t really think of any, but who knows, there might be the odd occasion.

The thing is this.

A synopsis reflects the way a story is put together, i.e. plot construction. This is a skill that (a) can be taught/learned and (b) is very amenable to discussion/development with your agent or editor. In short, it’s not a mission-critical skill.

Effective prose crafting, however, is far less easily taught, nor is it easily communicated between author-editor. You either have this basic awareness, or you don’t. IE, this is very mission-critical.

Personally, I don’t really care if a prospective client is great at plot construction or not! You’ll notice on the Redhammer website, we don’t even ask for a synopsis! All we want is a few sample pages... from which we can tell, as any good agent ought to be able to – whether that crucial writing talent is actually there. If it is, all else can follow.

I had lunch with one of London’s best editors a few weeks ago. He said – all I need is one thing... just one thing. One indication that the writer can deliver some magic in their words. If it’s there, the rest can be developed.

So... any agent who rejects good writing on the basis that the accompanying synopsis is weak really shouldn’t be in the business... and you’re better off without them!

Thanks for the advice, @AgentPete! I'm looking forward to the houses coming back. :D Sorry to hear that winter has taken you hostage, hope you're back to normal soon!

Firstly, thanks for the advice as always @AgentPete. Secondly, go get yourself some Vocalzone ( http://www.vocalzone.com/about-us/faqs.aspx ) I highly recommend it. Way back when I was still an all singing all dancing performing monkey (who refused to wear heels) our entire company lived off the stuff. That plus Strepsils and antibiotics if needed and you will be right as rain in the throat department before you know what's hit you ;)

Oregano oil blows your ead orf, but is darn good at nipping a lurgy in the bud. And colloidal silver (not so much that you turn blue smurf) and manuka honey, don't get me started...shall we have a Litopia Virtual Apothecary's?

Thanks @AgentPete I appreciate you taking the time to reply and the insight provided has been really helpful.
Sorry to hear about the infection. You should try some honey, it kills bacteria and also lots of garlic as it is a natural antibiotic (not with the honey unless you are partial to strange flavours)

Litopia Virtual Apothecary (LAV?) would be exceedingly useful at this time of year! Writing is really not a healthy occupation, and I’ve often thought we ought to have a health-focused area here, just as counterbalance.

Thanks for the advice above, most of which I’m applying even as we speak... I do have some Vocalzone, garlic and oregano... and I don’t care how strange it makes me smell... :)

:rolleyes:Flushing the Lav = consulting the Litopian registry of home cures. We really ought to be able to come up with a more aesthetically appealing acronym.
Ring up the doctor they only place you in a 14 minute queue, anyway.
Filthy places, doctor's surgeries. 20 years of wrestling with auto immune arthritis, mostly alone, GPs and consultants no help, tells me modern science is very, very far from understanding certain fundamentals of physiology.

The ague is to be dreaded. You have my sympathy, Peter, absolutely. I dose my lot with oregano. They blink, maybe bleat, but it works 4/5 times taken at that first sign...that warning in the back of the throat. As for me, how kind of you to ask, well, it's not funny, but it's not on top of me. I can't remember being free of pain but I get a lot done. I get around, never a day without a dress on and full slap. Sometimes I can walk, sometimes I can't. Doors close, doors open...I have been worse, much worse. Tarot and the first novel rose directly out of a time of physical immobilisation...maybe, if you'd like, I'll tell you about a poltergeist some time, that started it. Physical energy, I have learned, can get 'bottle necked', and odd things can happen, then, which some mistake for something 'supernatural'. I have had a bad situation to thank for some wonderful things. Without the illness, I'd perhaps just have carried on teaching. And that was good. But what I've done since has been better, I'll never 'retire.'

Last edited:
I conquer - hubby is also a walking pharmacist (Also with auto immune arthritis from his Crohn's) ;)

Yes, food is a vital area of education, and a particular investigation for Crohn's. Very grateful to have sat that one out, but I was finally able to sort out for good, a daughter's chronic IBS, just through one simple diet modification. The big pharmacological guns for all these things come with their own problems. The candle's got to be worth the shilling and in my observation, mostly it just isn't and I've stayed clear. I'd like to see Nutrition, Food and Farming science taught at school, as it used to be, though at a very basic level. And maybe food ethics.

Here's a cornucopia of a food book, Karen. Available all sorts of online places : http://www.readersdigestdirect.com.au/foods-harm-foods-heal

Last edited:
Yes, food and diet is a vital area of investigation for Crohn's. Very grateful to have sat that one out, but I was finally able to sort out for good, a daughter's chronic IBS, just through one simple diet modification. The big pharmacological guns for these things come with their own problems. The candle's got to be worth the shilling and in my observation, mostly it just isn't and I've stayed clear. I'd like to see Nutrition, Food and Farming science taught at school, as it used to be, though at a very basic level. And ethics.

Here's a cornucopia of a food book, Karen. Available all sorts of online places : http://www.readersdigestdirect.com.au/foods-harm-foods-heal

Thanks very much. Sadly it's hit and miss with hubby where food is concerned, what he can and can't tolerate changes on a daily basis, though his severe reactions to certain things don't change, everything else is up in the air.

I try to, but as you know it's very difficult.

No!! I fear I may have caught the dreaded lurgy! @AgentPete it's all your fault! Only joking ;) It's just a head cold which won't last long but hey the thought of catching the cyber lurgy from Pete made me giggle :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! New Guardian Masterclass

Bestseller lists?

Back