25 Things Writers Should Know About Rejection

O

Sloucho at the Groucho

Fanfare! Today through Monday, My first Two novels FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHAHAHA... I like this guy. Huevos grandes.

This one is of particular note:
"Hate the autocracy of the kept gates all you like, but the forge of rejection purifies us (provided it doesn’t burn us down to a fluffy pile of cinder). The writer learns so much from rejection about himself, his work, the market, the business. Even authors who choose to self-publish should, from time to time, submit themselves to the scraping talons and biting beaks of the raptors of rejection. Writers who have never experienced rejection are no different than children who get awards for everything they do: they have already found themselves tap-dancing at the top of the “I’m-So-Special” mountain, never having to climb through snow and karate chop leopards to get there."
Rather similar to how I have always avowed my desire to fist-fight a mountain lion. Haven't had to yet though.

"Hate the autocracy of the kept gates all you like, but the forge of rejection purifies us (provided it doesn’t burn us down to a fluffy pile of cinder). The writer learns so much from rejection about himself, his work, the market, the business. Even authors who choose to self-publish should, from time to time, submit themselves to the scraping talons and biting beaks of the raptors of rejection. Writers who have never experienced rejection are no different than children who get awards for everything they do: they have already found themselves tap-dancing at the top of the “I’m-So-Special” mountain, never having to climb through snow and karate chop leopards to get there."
Rather similar to how I have always avowed my desire to fist-fight a mountain lion. Haven't had to yet though.
Yep!! He has some great stuff on his blog all the time. :)

That's where I stopped reading and it really resonated with me too. Reflective stuff.

This is my favourite:
"But then comes the realization: this story just isn’t up to snuff. It’s a powerful and freeing moment — freeing because, making a story better is entirely within your power. You can’t change market forces. But you can change the quality of your work. So do that."

Amen, brother! What a liberating moment to realise that your work isn't good enough, but that you've learned something along the way and have the power to improve it...of course, that means totally rewriting the F*&*&%$ing book. AGAIN. But hey, it's a plan, and having a plan is half the battle.

This is my favourite:
"But then comes the realization: this story just isn’t up to snuff. It’s a powerful and freeing moment — freeing because, making a story better is entirely within your power. You can’t change market forces. But you can change the quality of your work. So do that."

Amen, brother! What a liberating moment to realise that your work isn't good enough, but that you've learned something along the way and have the power to improve it...of course, that means totally rewriting the F*&*&%$ing book. AGAIN. But hey, it's a plan, and having a plan is half the battle.

Yeah - it reminds me of the sage advice that you can't change others but you can change your reaction to them. Or something along those lines.

I think we can well and truly say we have exhausted this tip in the rejection thread:

21. BUMPER STICKER: “REAL WRITERS GET REJECTED”
I’ll just leave that there for you to discuss amongst yourselves.

#23 has me disagreeing or maybe just semantics are at play. Because I don't see it as 'hardening up' when you get a bad review. Maybe I'm deluding myself but I do like to turn things into comedy and when you can laugh at yourself seeing what someone has said about a game/book it can be a relief that the nightmare of it happening has manifested ..and actually it ain't so bad. I speak from recently getting my first bad game review from one of my friends husband!! :D
(grammar alert..someone fix it..my brain is fried. What's with the cousin of your girlfriend's daughter business at play here???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Sloucho at the Groucho

Fanfare! Today through Monday, My first Two novels FREE!

Back