• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Blog Post: “Take what resonates, toss the rest”

Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

From Our Blog

Blogger
LitBits
New blog post by Claire G – discussions in this thread, please
---

Giving Feedback

The title of this post is a sentence that’s often used at the end of a fellow writer’s feedback in the Lab, and I think it’s perfect. The first time I submitted work for critique and someone responded with this line, I felt a huge wave of relief. It says so much in so few words:

• Trust your judgement/go with your gut
  • Take it in context with feedback from others
  • You don’t have to take on board all of my suggestions; I really won’t be offended!

Of course, when we give feedback, it can be easy to assume that everything we say is spot-on and should be acted upon immediately. Reading the critique of others makes you realise that – shock-horror – you may not actually be right! Or perhaps there’s another way of looking at things! People may even disagree with you and offer contradictory advice! And guess what? That’s okay!

Receiving Feedback

Sometimes feedback can be startling. It can open you up to a whole new perspective on your work that you hadn’t imagined – this can be in a good way or a not-so-good way. It’s important to stay open-minded and try to view your work objectively (the latter can prove to be very difficult!). It can be easy to respond by accepting the praise and rejecting the criticism in a “They just don’t understand what I was trying to do here” kind of way. And maybe they don’t. But then again, maybe they do. Take time to digest the feedback and reflect on it without the clouding of your initial emotional reaction. “Take what resonates, toss the rest” is not meant to be taken as permission to only accept what you want to hear.

I’ve learned not to be precious about my work. I now enjoy having my writing dissected and analysed by the many intelligent, thoughtful and honest writers who form this wonderful community, both in the Lab and the Huddle. I often heed the points made, especially if expressed by more than one Litopian. But, guess what? Rightly or wrongly, sometimes I don’t. And that’s okay too.

Acting on Feedback

When giving or receiving feedback, I think there are some important considerations to take into account before deciding to act:

• Am I critiquing as a writer, or as a reader? The two can be very different!
  • Do I/does the person giving feedback read in this genre? Am I/are they familiar with the conventional tone and tropes of it? Am I/are they aware of comparatives/the current trends in the market?
  • Can I differentiate personal taste from objective analysis?

Experience

I write contemporary romance, often with a fantasy twist, as well as more psychological/mystery/suspense-type thrillers. Both are commercial genres. That doesn’t mean the writing shouldn’t be the best that it can be, but there are times when I receive feedback from writers who don’t read in these genres and have expectations that don’t chime with the market. However, I’ve yet to receive critique that doesn’t include at least one golden nugget, so I’ve learned to put these perspectives into context.

What else have I learned?

• I’m not always the best person to give feedback because my knowledge of the conventions of the genre isn’t as strong as that of others. That doesn’t mean I shouldn’t offer critique, more that I should be aware of this in my response to a submission and make it clear to the writer.
  • Good writing is good writing. Period. Sometimes you have to toss the rule book out of the window! Just be aware that this can be a risk when it comes to pitching to agents/publishers.

Final Thoughts

How easy do you find giving and receiving feedback? What have you learned along the way?

What ‘golden nugget’ feedback have you received and how did it change your work-in-progress?

Would you add anything to any of the sections in this post?
---

Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…
For more posts by Claire G click here “Take what resonates, toss the rest” – Litopia

Great post, Claire :) I just finished typing, 'use what resonates, toss the rest' when I came across this, lol. I love having my work dissected and learning to see it through another writer's eyes. My least favourite feedback is for someone to pull me up on a plot device - that stings - but at the same time, the writer in me wants to be pulled up on plot devices because I know it'll only make my story stronger.

Yeah, loopholes in your plot that you didn't see are a real shock to the system, but you'd never know if someone wasn't critiquing your work.

Often what resonates is not what you immediately read (though it can be), but what sticks in your head as you go about your daily business.

The one thing I don't like is if the critiquer rewrites a sentence they don't like. 9 times out of 10, the voice will be wrong even if the wording is better.

The great thing about critiquing other people's work is a) it's rewarding knowing you're (hopefully) helping someone b) you totally see the mistakes you make in your own work c) you learn from the things they do well..

I will critique outwith the genre I write as long as it's a genre I like to read. I don't feel it's fair for me to critique if I'm not fully aware of what's expected in that genre. That'd be ok on a line-editing level, but that's not what we do here.

Great post @Claire G

I think it's a quote from Tiffany Yates Martin. I listened to the audiobook of Intuitive Editing and I can hear it in her voice. (I got so much out of it, I bought a hard copy for reference). It's a good rule of thumb for accepting feedback.

As Hannah points out, a rewording of a sentence almost always sounds wrong when transposed into my voice, but I don't mind it so much. It prompts a reworking into something that is my voice and is often better.

The very first critique I had hit me like cold water, but once I got over the initial shock, it was intensely refreshing. Subsequent crits have been warmer, but I'm still grateful for that first one, and I like to think of it that way - diving into something clarifying.

For critiquing other people, I sometimes shy away from genres I wouldn't normally read. But on occasion I've been suitably intrigued to have a look at a chapter or two. And if I'm honest with the writer that it's not usually my thing, they can take that into account when they read my feedback. And I think it can be useful to have an outsider opinion.
Good for me too to look beyond my usual horizons. I've learned so much from reading and enjoying writing I might never have looked at otherwise.

The opportunity to read other writers' work is one of the best things about Litopia. It's a safe space to share, and it makes better writers of us all.

Last edited:
The one thing I don't like is if the critiquer rewrites a sentence they don't like. 9 times out of 10, the voice will be wrong even if the wording is better.
Agreed. Sometimes, and for some people, it's the 'but' vs.' however' syndrome. The need to poke and twiddle.
For me, the most valuable element is when someone says: 'Not sure that bit works like that. Why don't you try... XXX?'
And they're right and it does work!