Reality Check We need to talk - and be able to talk - about ‘offence’

Amusement In case anyone needs a laugh...

Fun with Query letters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be wrong were I to ask: "With meat and two veg?" Sorry, I really tried hard not to type that but my ingrained "Carry On" genes just wouldn't be silenced.

On second thoughts, maybe I should've suggested a side salad.
@Jonny ! I'm *shocked*! Considering I always equated you with veritable priesthood :eek:

I clearly remember commenting with regards to this tittle "Protestant and Perverts": "If I were a protestant I would not pick up that book". I believe nothing is barred when using humour but it has to be done with sensibility- For example, everyone laughs if someone is deaf but not if they are blind.
Perverted protestants might pick it up.
Bigger point, why is everyone laughing at the deaf person? Is it because everyone knows the deaf person can't hear the laughter?

I'm neither PC, nor a fan of Wokeism. The only things that truly insult me is when words are put into my mouth, or I've been dismissed. I think the rise of woke culture is largely a reaction to these.

We've all read books where minorities sound like ridiculous stereotypes. Poofy gay characters with a lisp, thuggish black characters spouting ebonics, et-cetera ad-nausiating. Real people got tired of stereotypes putting words into their mouths, and motivations behind their actions.

Then there's dismissal. If you want to see a modern example in print, may I suggest looking at recent Dilbert comics. I don't know where I was when Scott Adams went off his trolly. But I do know he replaced the ink in his comic's pen with bile. Unfortunately, bitter != funny.

Of course, dismissal isn't limited to print. The needs of entire ethnic, racial, religious, and gender groups were not taken seriously for a long time. The people who complain loudest over wokeness completely ignore how years of dismissal got us here. You can shut people up for only so long before they decide to act.

I could say a lot more about this but my lunchbreak is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement In case anyone needs a laugh...

Fun with Query letters

Back