Fanfare! Submission Gong

13 Writing Conferences in February 2017

ProWritingAid opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only I had a book long enough! Mine classifies as a novella and there isn't exactly a dearth of publishers accepting novella sized works....but one must persist!

And good work on sending the bugger out :)

Another one bites the dust...took a bloomin' age to send this one. I find starting the submission process always results in the first one out to take a while then I'm on a roll. So in theory the next one should enter my sent in no time.

Another one bites the dust...took a bloomin' age to send this one. I find starting the submission process always results in the first one out to take a while then I'm on a roll. So in theory the next one should enter my sent in no time.
Yay, glad you got it done though :)

Another one gone to the ether!

Blimey took me a while...4 hours - what drama in between those submissions! Including finding out one of my sites was out of action! Sorted that out then finding all files have been deleted. *sigh*

Today was interesting. Not only have I submitted to two more agents..I started understanding the players a bit more. So focus was on the biggest agencies.

Also, I've tapped into the editorial services of one of the 3 mentioned in Harry Bingham's 'Getting Published'. They're offering to see the first chapter, synopsis and query for free.

It's pretty quiet here lately...is anyone else not submitting for now?

I shall be submitting soon, in the very near future. Get ready to hear me ding that gong :)

Today was interesting. Not only have I submitted to two more agents..I started understanding the players a bit more. So focus was on the biggest agencies.

Also, I've tapped into the editorial services of one of the 3 mentioned in Harry Bingham's 'Getting Published'. They're offering to see the first chapter, synopsis and query for free.

It's pretty quiet here lately...is anyone else not submitting for now?
Every time I get a rejection, I send another one out to keep the number open to 10. I'm at 22 submissions total now, with 10 out plus 1 MS request. 10 is a nice number that gives me hope and turns my thoughts away from the rejections :)

Wow! 87!

They do say it's a numbers game and your chance are getting higher.
Yeah, but Carol can also tell you that if you send out a hundred letters with no replies, you need to change something about your submission — a thousand submissions won't do you any good if no one is giving you any interest by that point. I'm just finishing out my list in due diligence before breaking the story into smaller, more marketable pieces and starting over.

Yeah, but Carol can also tell you that if you send out a hundred letters with no replies, you need to change something about your submission — a thousand submissions won't do you any good if no one is giving you any interest by that point. I'm just finishing out my list in due diligence before breaking the story into smaller, more marketable pieces and starting over.

When you start over - will you select a fresh batch of agents or the same ones?

Every time I get a rejection, I send another one out to keep the number open to 10. I'm at 22 submissions total now, with 10 out plus 1 MS request. 10 is a nice number that gives me hope and turns my thoughts away from the rejections :)
I've got 35 out of 87 still outstanding, myself, all with calendar reminders on my phone. My iPhone calendar looks like a minefield of disappointment.

When you start over - will you select a fresh batch of agents or the same ones?
I'll reuse any names at all that don't preclude re-submissions, and probably the other ones too just for fun. Most places say "don't re-submit a previously-submitted work without making significant revisions," which is pretty much permission to do so afterward.

It will almost be fun to see what kind of reaction I get — just to see how much the word count was really hurting me...

Gong. Just managed to hold a conversation with an agent on Twitter, and end up spotlighting my query letter.

Until I've successfully broken the book into three, I've now also included in the query letter my openness to doing so.

I don't think there's a better shot I could take, at this point in the game.

Gong. Just managed to hold a conversation with an agent on Twitter, and end up spotlighting my query letter.

Until I've successfully broken the book into three, I've now also included in the query letter my openness to doing so.

I don't think there's a better shot I could take, at this point in the game.
Super cool! That's great news :)

Well it's your book Jason, but from a practical point of view I wouldn't send out any queries until you have separated it into three books, so it's ready in a size and series that they will accept, but just my POV. Meanwhile I've just sent out another 3 queries ;)

Well it's your book Jason, but from a practical point of view I wouldn't send out any queries until you have separated it into three books, so it's ready in a size and series that they will accept, but just my POV. Meanwhile I've just sent out another 3 queries ;)
Might as well keep firing my gun in the air going AAARR in the meantime — better than taking no shots at all. While I acknowledge the necessity of separating it into three stories, it's still not plan A... I've got maybe twenty more shots left before I'm out, and nothing but time.

FRUSTRATED at every turn!:mad:
chairthrow.jpg

cit_bleach_-_table_flip.jpg
KnightThrowsChair.jpg

There are several strands to submitting. But they fall into two categories:

Conventional
Unconventional

Am researching the latter. Will post something about it later. My son wants to read 'Paddington mends the House'...l:)

Right so we've almost finished 'Paddington Mends the House'..and we've reached a cliff hanger moment.

So with that break I thought I'd come back to the 'unconventional ways of submitting' and I've lost my thought process. Excuse me whilst I brainstorm with myself, mesh out ways I thought were ingenious last night...:rolleyes: and if you don't hear back from me let's just conclude they were not great after all. :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

13 Writing Conferences in February 2017

ProWritingAid opinions

Back