News Your Vagus Nerve-find it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
This is a big deal when saddling horses. You have to be sure you don't compress or block it so I can attest it is important to bodily function. But now the human one is everywhere I look. Could it even cure writers block?

Footnote: acetylcholine is in nettle seeds.

This is a big deal when saddling horses. You have to be sure you don't compress or block it so I can attest it is important to bodily function. But now the human one is everywhere I look. Could it even cure writers block?

Footnote: acetylcholine is in nettle seeds.
Ah, the dangers of interpreting the placebo affect. Leave vagus stimulation to serious cases and medical intervention.
Do you mean placebo effect?

Ah yes. Typing affected by speed - the speed effect.
Why knock the Placebo effect? If it lowers inflammation it is a lifesaver. But the article cites a specific experiment on mice that was meant to study inflammation in the brain that ended up showing the effect of the vagus nerve on controlling inflammation in the body.

Why knock the Placebo effect? If it lowers inflammation it is a lifesaver. But the article cites a specific experiment on mice that was meant to study inflammation in the brain that ended up showing the effect of the vagus nerve on controlling inflammation in the body.
Not knocking the placebo effect. It is a very important aspect of medicine - the mind is indeed a good catalyst in improving health. and, yes, the vagus nerve certainly plays a part in inflammation control. That is a well established fact that has been known for years, and of course scientists continue to study every aspect of the nervous system - cures are required for Parkinson's, nerve related symptoms of dementia, MND, nerve affected long covid and more . . . But social influencers
(some, not all) do have a tendency to jump on a scientific fact such as this one and tout it as a cure-all and even make up procedures that will benefit. One ought to be wary and know the facts before following these influencers' advice.

As it happens, I've been diagnosed with an overactive vagus nerve.

It's one thing looking to the vagus nerve for physical health issues, but ...

When it comes to depression (I'm not talking about the chemical imbalance type), alcoholism, and obesity, seeking cures like these are 'questionable', 'dangerous', and '.......' (I can't find a word for it). There are underlying issues at play. These are complex conditions/illnesses, often deep rooted, often in childhood, sometimes in the present. Anxiety and stress are a much needed bodily function. Humans need them to survive. They tell us something in life it wrong. A cure for mental health problems via the vagus nerve?? Hmmmm. The quick easy fix which doesn't actually fix the cause. Maybe it can take the edge off the same way medication does and help someone get through the day, but it should always be used alongside meaningful therapy. We can't, and never should, simply 'click a button' when it comes to mental health.

Last edited:
As it happens, I've been diagnosed with an overactive vagus nerve.

It's one thing looking to the vagus nerve for physical health issues, but ...

When it comes to depression (I'm not talking about the chemical imbalance type), alcoholism, and obesity, seeking cures like these are 'questionable', 'dangerous', and '.......' (I can't find a word for it). There are underlying issues at play. These are complex conditions/illnesses, often deep rooted, often in childhood, sometimes in the present. Anxiety and stress are a much needed bodily function. Humans need them to survive. They tell us something in life it wrong. A cure for mental health problems via the vagus nerve?? Hmmmm. The quick easy fix which doesn't actually fix the cause. Maybe it can take the edge off the same way medication does and help someone get through the day, but it should always be used alongside meaningful therapy. We can't, and never should, simply 'click a button' when it comes to mental health.

I'd be interested in your comment on the article and more about your diagnosis. I definitely agree cure is the wrong word to use for anything. Body or mind.
The information on obesity is that the vagus nerve controls the hormones that control appetite. Given that the new diabetes drug is being overused to the extent that there isn't enough for people with actual diabetes it is an interesting experimental approach.

Wexford has an incredibly high suicide rate in teenagers and young adults. So much so that a volunteer organisation walks the quay and bridge every night as a preventative. The psychiatrist who headed the regional mental health dept. quit saying he could not in good conscience remain. That was two years ago. He wasn't replaced and the situation is even more dire. The real problem here is a government that refuses to fund anything for social benefit, being big believers in the "trickledown" economy.

Given parents and young adults have nowhere else to turn probably explains the number of You Tube videos the article mentions. Trying self-help is a step towards self-care when there is no alternative. Too often the case in the US as well. The article cites inflammation as a factor in certain kinds of depression. As you say there isn't just one aspect of mental health. Given over processed foods known to cause inflammation are the main source of nutrition for most of the poor and lower middle-class kids committing suicide-I think it's positive that the medical community is looking at some physical causes for depression.

But for me I just thought it interesting that they are still learning things about the body and that it relates to horses bodies in the same way. It just reinforces what I have thought on many occasions-I'd rather see a vet than a GP.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in your comment on the article and more about your diagnosis.
Will comment properly in a bit (it's seriously chaotic at my end - too chaotic to do sensible comments). On the diagnosis part, in short, it was picked up while I was having various heart scans (looong story) and via something called a Tilt Test (think Hanibal Lecter) where they strap you on a table then tilt you from lying horizontally to upright over the course of about half an hour. That's when it was confirmed. It explains a couple of my small niggly health probs. It also means I'm a passer-outer whose heart stops when I do. Yikes. So I'm not allowed to scuba dive deeper than ... *can't remember* ... as the pressure on the nerve would make me pass out under water, nor bungee jump (no loss there). Anyhoo, back in a bit ....

I can't read so much, but I think if so.eo e could tickle me just the right way in all the ways, I might have a problem solved to all the problems. Unfortunately there is no special problem that can be tilted. I wish there was. Keep me posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back