Wot Neil Gaiman sed....

Fanfare! New series… new contract!!

Writing is good for your health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I buy more books for other people in December and always hard copy. Also, I just don't associate Waterstones with Kindle. It wouldn't occur to me to buy one there. I'd go to Amazon for a Kindle and for e-books and Waterstones for 'real' books. I'm not sure this really reflects the state of Kindle sales. I love hard copy books but read loads on my Kindle and take chances on books I might not bother with. If I love a book I've read on Kindle I might feel the need to own the physical copy just to stroke it and admire it on my shelves.

:) I'll want hard copy, paper back or hard back if I know I'm going to want to -re-read a book. Things I buy to read on Kindle generally, though not always disappoint. I might use Kindle when I'm not sure but want to check a book out, maybe for research purposes. I have it on my PC via Amazon.

I buy myself gifts of hard cover titles that I love and have read on my Nook, or have read 'til they fall apart and need replacing. It is almost always a December indulgence. The rest of the family isn't much for reading, so books rarely make the lists.

So there's hope for us yet. I'd prefer a physical copy myself, unless it was just for research.

I read Jessie Burton's 'The Miniaturist' on Kindle, yesterday. 500 pages or so, a third of the price of the paperback. It was a good read , grim, very well written, but I'm not sure I would re-read it.

@Katie-Ellen Hazeldine Ooh, I saw that book in Waterstones and ummed and ahhed over it for a while. I think I'll pick it up when I next can.

I don't own a Kindle. I used to have a DS game that was 100 classics and I'd read them at night to get to sleep. I don't read as much as I think the rest of you do, but when I do it's almost always hard copy. I don't have anything against electronic readers, they just hurt my eyes after a while and put me to sleep!

Interesting articles about the Kindle vs hard copy sales. :)

I read quite a bit for review, and I suppose it's a bit odd, but I wish I could get ARCs in ePub or Kindle rather than the paper versions that are always sent. To cut costs and reduce page counts, many publishers set their ARCs in ten point type which is barely legible without a very bright reading light (for these old eyes...) which slows the read down more than it would if I could just sit wherever I feel like sitting and adjust the size up to a comfortable level on my eReader.

I prefer physical copies too. As silly as it may sound I find I read better on paper. Sometimes I like to read in places where electronics wouldn't be a good idea. E.g. I love relaxing in the bath with a book.
I am also more inclinded to read a paper book. I will however buy kindle books quite often as I like to read and review indie aithors. If I really enjoy it I tend to treat myself to the paper book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! New series… new contract!!

Writing is good for your health.

Back