Question: Why upgrade ?

December's Flash Club Winner!

NEW UNREPRESENTED AUTHOR PRIZE LAUNCHED, just sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo

Sep 16, 2021
New England
Sooo...I joined a few months ago, but haven't posted much at all. I'm hoping to change that for the new year. What could help is the 30% off a six-month subscription. This would give me all the perks. Yet I'm not sure if it will provide the motivation I need.

I mean...there are parts of Litopia I can't view as a moocher. I also keep getting invites to join the Writers' Huddle, but I don't think I can get in on a free sub. Will a paid sub increase my chances of success? Are there agents lurking in the places I cannot access?

And how about story access? I looked in the workshop and didn't see a lot going on.

Anyhoo...I've got about 24 hours before the six-month special ends. Can anyone convince me it's a good deal?

Thanks!

1. You get the huddles, especially good if you have questions. It's confidential, too, so no one blabs about what's going on (what happens in the huddles stays in the huddles, apparently). I don't go to huddles because I'm in the wrong time zone (5pm London time is some ungodly hour of the morning in Adelaide, South Australia, so I save up my forays into the wilds of the wee small hours of the blessed a.m. for live seminars).
2. Attendance at live seminars, free, and can ask questions, too.
3. The search function. A very useful tool for finding stuff you know you've read but can't remember where or when. I've used it a few times.
4. It doesn't make a difference if you're only looking to give and receive critiques or similar, because we all do that, and putting in helps the regulars know you're serious when you put something up for critique/comments, and understand how much time and effort goes into making the comments on a piece of work to help make it stronger or give it better clarity, etc.
5. It shows commitment to the purpose of a writer writing for a purpose. It might sound fluffy, but if you've put good money in, you gotta put in the effort, too. Making that effort can take the form of joining a WAB thread to keep a goal for each month, or the year, etc. (WAB = Writer Accountability Buddies, in the Writing Workshop).
6. Oh, yes, the Back Room in Cafe Life, where posts aren't public. If you have a question or something that might be best left behind walls, that's the place (not talking about pieces of writing, but other stuff, like discussing the big boys, or publishers, or markets in general, etc.).
7. It's not the least of the benefits, but having other writers who understand the mind-twisting things we do to try to find a good story to go with the idea, the way we see the world differently, to get an opinion that won't blow wind up the nether regions.
8. You can post a published work in the Marketplace.
9. You can be part of the Genius Room for Pop-Up submissions.
10. You can offer to participate in things when the call for volunteers comes up. A great training ground for some, a great place for others to share their skills, whatever they are.

Do you need more?
I don't do all of the above, but the bits I do have kept me from feeling isolated in my dungeon/tower/cell while trying to construct a story worthy of being read by an unknown reader.

Honestly, I feel uncomfortable trying to convince you. I've tried many writing forums and you either jibe with a group of writers or you don't, and you only know if you jibe with them by interacting with them. So, personally, I'd only spend money where I feel comfortable. I'm biased because that's here ;) You need to find what's right for you though.

There are no other agents here, just Peter Cox. A bit about Peter: Peter Cox (author) - Wikipedia

For me, what this forum has that others don't is Peter. What other writing forum allows an agent to discuss your work in a zoom environment? Every Saturday 5pm (UK time). I'm in Australia - we're writers from all over the world.

This is a feel for what Huddles are like:

https://colony.litopia.com/threads/saturday-huddles-what-they-are-why-you-should-join-in.8365/

And some info about them:

There might be more going on in the Writing Workshops than you realise. That's because people can form private writing groups (another way of protecting your writing). What I find, and @Nmlee taught me this, is asking who is available to critique. Give a description of what you want, or a blurb, and then when you have a few takers, turn your thread private, then post your work. Although sometimes you want the entire colony to comment, so you'd just leave it open.

Next year, we're also starting our Craft Chats too, though I'm not sure how membership affects that.

Ultimately, you get back what you put in - honestly - so it's up to you what you want to do with that :)

Hi @M. Dupré

I was going to answer your questions but I see I have been beaten to it by @CageSage @RK Capps. One benefit of living on the other side of the globe :)

But I honestly couldn't really have put it better than both have already done. The 30% reduction makes the cost little more than a cup of coffee a month. There is nowhere on the the net that offers such value for writers.

We have a collegiate approach here where we all help one another get the very best from our writing.

Just one attendance at a Huddle, hosted weekly by our very own tame London agent (something that alone would cost double, or likely a lot more anywhere else), sees the current reduced 6-month full membership offer pretty much as a no-brainer.

Thanks RKC...but I really haven't much work to contribute. Do you know what the Huddle is about ?

No problem, we all have to start somewhere. Come along and get a feel for what it's like and see how you feel from there :) Full members are always welcome and Peter is always kind and supportive, but honest too :)

You don't necessarily have to submit any work for the Huddle @M. Dupré ...you can just listen and offer your thoughts. A number of attendees do exactly that :)

Welcome to full membership, by the way!

Personally, since becoming a fully paid-up member and indeed, a regular volunteer for Litopia/Pop-up Submissions, I've built up a network of friendly and useful contacts in publishing, including authors, publishers and marketeers. Not to mention a very supportive relationship with a working literary agent! Before I got involved in Litopia I felt helpless about ever being able to "break in" to the publishing industry. Now I feel like I'm a part of it and have something to contribute. It's been great for my own writing ambitions, too.

In short, I highly recommend engagement with Litopia as a way to find a great writing community bursting with knowledge and advice, but also as a potential pathway into the industry itself.

@AgentPete there are numerous positive testimonies in this thread to gladden your heart and to lift for publicity purposes... :)

Well...um...I did it.

Thanks for all the advice.
Yaaay. Nice one.

I have a free bursary to another writing group that's great, though not (for my needs) as good as Litopia. If I were paying, that would cost me £130 a year. They have an annual event in which writers can chat to agents and meet up online. Litopia does this every week.

I find being part of the genius room has had a very beneficial effect on my ability to self edit, and I'd join for that reason alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

December's Flash Club Winner!

NEW UNREPRESENTED AUTHOR PRIZE LAUNCHED, just sayin'

Back