• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Dandelion Break What’s The Baysian Probability of Assassination By Waterspout?

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
United-Nations
Before AI came along to sweep up $500 billion dollars of investors’ wallet-juice (US only, 2015-24, source Statista) there was… Bayesian theory.

It seems a bit quaint now, but back then – 1996 – it was hot and huge: the Next Big Thing in Big Data. You didn’t have to understand Bayesian probability to predict that it was going to be awesome. In fact, you probably couldn’t understand it.

But Cambridge PhD Mike Lynch certainly did. He leveraged his knowledge to set up Autonomy Corporation, a go-go outfit if ever there was one. As its share price multiplied one-hundredfold on the NASDAQ exchange, it became a target for acquisition.

We now know that Autonomy’s apparent growth was fuelled, in part, by fraudulent accounting. That much was established by Hewlett Packard in their British High Court claim against the former executives of Autonomy over HPs disastrous $11bn takeover.

So what’s the big deal, then? It’s just another story of greedy techno-bros, yes?

Well yes indeed... until yesterday. When a gigantic waterspout sunk Lynch’s mega-yacht - called, inevitably, Baysian – off the coast of Sicily. Lynch and five others are presumed dead.

Strsnge enough, certainly.

Even weirder when you learn that Lynch's co-defendant in a parallel US fraud trial just died in hospital after being hit by a car on Saturday.

What’s the chances of that happening? And where’s a Bayesian statistician when you need one?

Feels like we’re into spec-fic land. Conspiracists, its over to you!

Maybe the US government fired up its HAARP transmitter ?

I hope I don't need to add an /s tag. I'm completely taking the piss here.
There’s a depressing lack of conspiracy theories about this on the net at the moment. Or maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place. Conventional search engines aren’t pointing to anything of creativity.

Time was when this would have been catnip to conspiracists… Chris Carter made a rather nice little TV series out of this kind of thing a few years ago… :)

Re: just died in hospital after being hit by a car on Saturday.

"Police have appealed for witnesses, but do not believe there was anything untoward about the crash." (The Telegraph, today)

OK, that's all right then.

For me, by definition a crash is untoward and a crash causing a fatality is especially untoward. If this is a direct quote from the police, it's not great. And if it comes from the journalist who wrote
The Telegraph story, paraphrasing the police... well!

There’s a depressing lack of conspiracy theories about this on the net at the moment. Or maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place. Conventional search engines aren’t pointing to anything of creativity.

Time was when this would have been catnip to conspiracists… Chris Carter made a rather nice little TV series out of this kind of thing a few years ago… :)

Just a guess...but I think the normalization of conspiracy theories might actually have pushed search results downward. As they got exposure, more mainstream outlets reported on them (often to refute their claims). The big sites get more clicks, so they show up at the top.

This really took off with COVID-19 misinformation. A lot of social media responded by taking down content that could've put people at risk. Conspiracy theories tend to aggregate, so they fell down the search results together.

If you really need an alternate-fact fix, try Odyssey. You may need to take a shower afterward, though. It's nasty in there.

If you really need an alternate-fact fix, try Odyssey. You may need to take a shower afterward, though. It's nasty in there.
I briefly checked out reddit, but it's dull as ditchwater. Ahem... revealing my ignorance.. but what is Odyssey exactly? :)

That boat had the tallest aluminium mast in the world, btw. A stonkingly huge 237 feet high! Mon dieu.

I will say this. Years ago, I rented a yacht with an aluminium mast (um, not quite so big, tho!). Got into a terrible storm and it felt… bloody dangerous. One lightning hit and… toast...

I briefly checked out reddit, but it's dull as ditchwater. Ahem... revealing my ignorance.. but what is Odyssey exactly? :)

It's "Odysse", actually. Stupid autocorrect.

Odysee is a video sharing site where pretty much anything goes. I won't link to it, but it's easy enough to find with the "correct" spelling.

We in the US are awash in conspiracies. Drump spews new ones daily. :eek: He's planting the seeds of another stolen election.

It's "Odysse", actually. Stupid autocorrect.

Odysee is a video sharing site where pretty much anything goes. I won't link to it, but it's easy enough to find with the "correct" spelling.
Ugh...ODYSEE !!! Autocorrect can be such a pain in the ass.

It does have the feel of a freaky and totally unfunny cosmic joke. Astrologers see a connection with a literally, once in a blue moon in Aquarius (tech), and particular planetary configuration involving Uranus in Taurus (tech, shocks, high finance and luxury.) And it ain't done yet. For those who cry "woo", fine. But there is deep history in it. Such connections are based on many millennia of real world "data correlations." Such is the stuff of literature, and as you say, this one has the feel of a Greek tragedy plus tech.
Ursula le Guin once said something to the effect that the genre of science fiction is ultimately a mythology of tragedy.

And lets not forget the Lake Maggiore incident. Lake Maggiore boat accident: Questions remain over spy deaths

This is not eerie enough for me, but OK. I could tell stories about Clifford Chance.....

NYC lawyer shared haunting final post before vanishing on Bayesian yacht with jewelry designer wife​

A top New York City lawyer who has been missing ever since the Bayesian yacht sank off the coast of Italy on Monday morning had eerily written about his family living “happily ever after” in one of his final social media posts before vanishing with his wife in the shipwreck.

Christopher Morvillo, a 59-year-old lawyer who helped British tech tycoon Mike Lynch — the owner of the capsized luxury boat and one of the six people missing — win his fraud trial, thanked the legal team who helped their success in his penultimate LinkedIn post before the tragedy.

At the end of the eerie post, he wrote: “And, finally, a huge thank you to my patient and incredible wife, Neda Morvillo, and my two strong, brilliant, and beautiful daughters, Sabrina Morvillo and Sophia Morvillo.”

“None of this would have been possible without your love and support. I am so glad to be home. And they all lived happily ever after….”

Morvillo is a partner at white-collar law firm Clifford Chance, which has an office on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. He is a former federal prosecutor who worked on the criminal investigation of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, according to his online bio. He specializes in cases involving insider trading and corporate fraud

Clifford Chance celebrated Lynch’s acquittal in a June 6 press release on its site. Lynch was accused of fraud related to Hewlett Packard’s acquisition of his company, Autonomy.

“The acquittal ends a 13-year legal battle, regarded as one of Silicon Valley’s biggest-ever fraud cases,” the firm said.

Last edited:
I’d totally forgotten about the Lake Maggiore incident, which on re-reading seems fishy as heck. Wow.

Climate Scientist with a unhappy marriage [conflicted guy doing the right thing, but with some issues] working with a hot mathematician discovers a mini tornado generating capability.
The mathematician doesn't get the issue and writes a paper about it
He is blackmailed into making a practical version of the machine
And ends up holding the baby when it is used [twice]
He realizes how to nullify the machine but it's too late
Has to go on the run to work out who is using the machine and avoid culpability
Hot mathematician turns out to have been a honey trap, or was she?
tbc...

Climate Scientist with a unhappy marriage [conflicted guy doing the right thing, but with some issues] working with a hot mathematician discovers a mini tornado generating capability.
The mathematician doesn't get the issue and writes a paper about it
He is blackmailed into making a practical version of the machine
And ends up holding the baby when it is used [twice]
He realizes how to nullify the machine but it's too late
Has to go on the run to work out who is using the machine and avoid culpability
Hot mathematician turns out to have been a honey trap, or was she?
tbc...
Yay! That is FAR better than the recently-released and utterly forgettable, Twisters! Which frankly sounds like Spinal Tap for the Twisted Sister generation...

Back