Life finds a way

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
We’re rapidly approaching a very interesting time for the Colony and Litopia. Here’s an interim heads-up...

The Houses will be open here soon. I know you’re sick and tired of hearing me say that, but it true :) I’m carefully going through the user manual at the moment (as you should, too - when you read it, please). I have a few days this week that are less than hectic, so keep your eyes skinned.

Let me just say in connection with the Houses... not everyone will see them straight away. Frankly, I don’t want people signing up to Litopia, using the Houses for a free crit, and then heading for the hills. That’s not what we’re about. Only members who have been around for a while and have been part of the community will see the Houses and gain access. Newcomers will get access... after a while... and that’s all I’m going to say.

Speaking of size, we now have about 150 Colonists, which is a nice size. I see from some posts that there is an assumption that we are probably keen to acquire new members. Much of the net does indeed seem to be in a perpetual growth frenzy, but not here. While I’m keen to acquire more listeners to our shows - and indeed to sell more of our products - yet as far as the Colony is concerned, membership growth is not a major priority. Suddenly adding lots of new members can and does create major problems. A steady trickle of high-calibre new Litopians is far more valuable than a torrent.

We will grow in size, of course, and that will present its own challenges. I have a few thoughts on how we might handle that... but all in good time.

As far as the front-end of Litopia is concerned, things are at an advanced stage for a totally new redesign with many new functions. The numbers are looking pretty good on all our shows. Our new music show, The Hungry and the Hunted, is doing exceptionally well. I had no idea we’d be expanding into music so soon, but in fact, the problems faced by today’s indie musicians are very similar to those faced by writers. I see a steady stream of (mostly) young people as they come into the studio to record their live sets for the show, and the conversations are always pretty similar.

People are coming up with some pretty interesting ideas here, inside the Colony, too. My main focus is on all the above at the moment – i.e. I have my hands full – so do be patient with me if I a slow responder to new ideas!

More soon.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you, hope things are going well.

I can only agree on all points. Yesterday was the first day I didn't have to delete two new members who were just spamming. For the previous 2 weeks it was 2 per day every day, and for a couple of weeks before that, one per day. Hence why you don't want new members having access to the houses. Sad, but it's a fact with the internet this happens. Mind you, you'd think they would at least learn to form a sentence and use a full stop, but nup, doesn't happen. I think slow and steady is by far the way to go, and we don't really want so many people, that you loose the personal touch. I like what we have here, and do look forward to the Houses opening up. Which re minds me, do we get to paint them whatever colour we like??? :D

In the old Litopia there was a requirement for a minimum length of membership (1 or 3 months, I can't recall), a minimum number of posts (50, I think) before one could submit a piece for assessment..if this was judged of a suitable standard then one was given access to the Houses. Will the process be broadly similar?

Incidentally, can anyone enlighten me what the difference is between Respected, Venerable, Active, etc members here? I can dimly surmise that this is some sort of hierarchy and know that anyway, as a New Member I need to tug my forelock to anyone as they go past, but it would be good to know who are the Earls, Dukes and Princes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince's? I hope age gives me an advantage over that, but how many King's can you have? Pete might have to say something about that. As for hierarchy, I'm only available for hire - as an Author! ;)

Incidentally, can anyone enlighten me what the difference is between Respected, Venerable, Active, etc members here? I can dimly surmise that this is some sort of hierarchy and know that anyway, as a New Member I need to tug my forelock to anyone as they go past, but it would be good to know who are the Earls, Dukes and Princes.

As far as I can tell, it is either based on the milestone number of posts and/or likes you have or the number of trophy points (those are closely connected, so I'm not sure which). If you look at the available trophies and what they're for, those milestones represented the times that I noticed my own profile move up in the Litopia world.

@AgentPete, thank you for the heads up. It really is wonderful to see Litopia begin to blossom again.

Yesterday was the first day I didn't have to delete two new members who were just spamming. For the previous 2 weeks it was 2 per day every day, and for a couple of weeks before that, one per day. Hence why you don't want new members having access to the houses. Sad, but it's a fact with the internet this happen
@Alistair Roberts - you are doing a great and often thankless task. Thank you for keeping the place in order!

Thank you for all your hand work. It's appreciated!

I haven't checked out the channels. I think I will.

Thanks again,

Amber

I can only agree on all points. Yesterday was the first day I didn't have to delete two new members who were just spamming. For the previous 2 weeks it was 2 per day every day, and for a couple of weeks before that, one per day. Hence why you don't want new members having access to the houses. Sad, but it's a fact with the internet this happens. Mind you, you'd think they would at least learn to form a sentence and use a full stop, but nup, doesn't happen. I think slow and steady is by far the way to go, and we don't really want so many people, that you loose the personal touch. I like what we have here, and do look forward to the Houses opening up. Which re minds me, do we get to paint them whatever colour we like??? :D

Alistair, I’m going to change (toughen) the signup procedure. It’s clear that it’s not just automated bots signing up. Actually need Colonists’ help on this - will start a new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! My publishing independence day/month

M

Life finds a way

Back